1978 mercury 900 90hp timing

joe2403

Cadet
My manual tells me to set the belt timing I'm supposed to turn flywheel to align single dot with distributor shaft then turn pulley to align arrow with dot. OK witch one? theirs one on top on a tab for holding rope when starting, one on decal at .464 mark, three vertical dots on far right side of decal, and one big dot thats not even on decal if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I talked to 4 different mechanics and they don't even know?:mad:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1978 mercury 900 90hp timing

My manual

Which manual? If you're using anything but a factory manual, bin it! It's useless, and the reason you're confused.

joe2403 said:
tells me to set the belt timing I'm supposed to turn flywheel to align single dot with distributor shaft then turn pulley to align arrow with dot. OK witch one? theirs one on top on a tab for holding rope when starting, one on decal at .464 mark, three vertical dots on far right side of decal, and one big dot thats not even on decal if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I talked to 4 different mechanics and they don't even know?:mad:

Are they Merc mechanics?

Have a look at this picture, all quite clear...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 78-90 timing (470 x 1103).jpg
    78-90 timing (470 x 1103).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 9

joe2403

Cadet

yes they were all FACTORY trained techs by mercury one of whom is retired and actually worked on these back in the day looked it up in his mercury tech manual and it said the same exact thing as my clymer. your picture answers my question. the timing mark that the picture is showing is NOT the same as mine has three dots where is the picture shows a single dot. My guess is someone changed the flywheel with a 115hp flywheel. Where can I get a mercury manual?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

yes they were all FACTORY trained techs by mercury one of whom is retired and actually worked on these back in the day looked it up in his mercury tech manual and it said the same exact thing as my clymer. your picture answers my question. the timing mark that the picture is showing is NOT the same as mine has three dots where is the picture shows a single dot. My guess is someone changed the flywheel with a 115hp flywheel.

And that's precisely why I HATE FrankenMercs... Some poor bas**d has to work on that thing when the butcher's finished!!! :mad::mad:

joe2403 said:
Where can I get a mercury manual?

Try ebay... Part number of the manual you're after is 90-75512. Last time I look there were plenty...