88 bayliner good bad and ugly

Eaglewings05

Cadet
Still quite new to this forum and boating in general. Recently purchased a 1988 bayliner capri 15' bow rider with force 50 hp outboard. Got good deal even thought boat was rougher than anticipated but would still like to know the good, bad and ugly about this year and model boat and motor. I would like to know what to look out for and what to check that I may not have noticed off the get go. Thanks for any and all advice.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 88 bayliner good bad and ugly

I have an '89 1500, essentially the same (in addition to a '19 cuddy).

Just finished replacing sections of the floor. If yours spent any time outside in its22yr life, I'm sure your floor is spongy by now.

The engine was blown when I got it, so I switched to a '84 mercury classic 50hp 4 cylinder engine.

I have some parts off the Force I saved, like the lower unit, cowl, starter, carbs, ect. if you or anyone else reading is in need, I'm going to list them on ebay eventually.

If you do end up replacing the floors, I can post pictures of how I handled installing a new framwork below, and what I would do different.

Eaglewings05

Cadet

Mixerjv .....If you could post the pictures it would be awesome. Also, any relevant opinions on this type of boat would be helpful. I am burious to know how much you are trying to get for the lower unit. I bought another motor to have a spare but then realized the lower on mine was toast. I am trying not to get too deep into this before I determine of this is something I am going to enjoy. Also if you ahve any other spare parts laying around for the boat let me know. Thanks.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As far as opinions, it's a pretty good boat, but don't expect to carry a lot of people with it or do serious skiing. It all depends on what body of water your're using. I use mine on a pond that has a 50hp limit, and the safe inlets. I use the 19' for Cape Cod Bay and dable in the Atlantic ocean on good weather days.

I redid sections of the floor. Lumber used was pressure treated 2X4's and 1X3's for sistering the stringers and more lateral supports as you can see in the pics. New floor was plywood CDX, epoxied on side facing down, then I filet'd the gaps with epoxy mixed with milled fiber and collidal silica. After that I laid fiberglass mat with epoxy on top, joining the new and old, then new AquaTurf carpet Denim to match (older carpet that saw a lot of time in the sun will appear purple)

NOTE: Be careful on what is the floor and what is the bottom of the hull if you remove the old plywood!!! The old plywood floor DOES NOT EXTEND all the way to the gunnels (sides of the boat) After the carpet is removed you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Canon Upload 09 075.jpg
    Canon Upload 09 075.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Canon Upload 09 078.jpg
    Canon Upload 09 078.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Canon Upload 09 079.jpg
    Canon Upload 09 079.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2

Eaglewings05

Cadet

if you have anymore pictures on that floor redo for the 15 footer I would love to see them. The more I look at mine and inspect the floor the more I think I'm foing to have to redo it this fall. Thanks