Force 125 Head Bolts Seized

jbsneon

Cadet
I have a Force 125 with a leaky head gasket. Went to remove head bolts and 9 of the 18 broke off flush with the cover plate. Just the head of the bolt broke off. Now the head won't come off due to the remainder of the bolt is rusted (oxidized, gaulded?) to the head and won't allow it to slide off the bolts. Any ideas?? Surely one of you have had this problem. Thanks for any help.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Force 125 Head Bolts Seized

Gotta soak them with PB blaster, Deep creep or some other penetrating fluid, and tap with care to break the corrosive grip.

jbsneon

Cadet

Yeah I've been doin' the PB Blaster thing for 3 days now. I also tried heating it up with a propane torch hoping it will expand enough to allow the PB to penetrate a little deeper, but still no luck. I'm affraid of warping the Head but I may have to use a little more heat, IE: Oxy/Acet torch to heat up just around the bolt areas. And I guess at worst case scenario, I have a Vert. Mill in the shop and could knock off .005" to .010" to verify its flat. I haven't seen the underside of the head yet but I believe the Squintch Band is made by the gasket and not machined into the head so therefore won't hurt anything milling some material away. If any of you guys have any input to help me get through this the easiest way I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks for all your help, Joe.

jbsneon

Cadet

Yeah I've been doin' the PB Blaster thing for 3 days now. I also tried heating it up with a propane torch hoping it will expand enough to allow the PB to penetrate a little deeper, but still no luck. I'm affraid of warping the Head but I may have to use a little more heat, IE: Oxy/Acet torch to heat up just around the bolt areas. And I guess at worst case scenario, I have a Vert. Mill in the shop and could knock off .005" to .010" to verify its flat. I haven't seen the underside of the head yet but I believe the Squintch Band is made by the gasket and not machined into the head so therefore won't hurt anything milling some material away. If any of you guys have any input to help me get through this the easiest way I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks for all your help, Joe.

foodfisher

Captain

Could try drilling the bolts out to free the head but then yout into heliarcing the block. Don't know from here.

re613

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, I have helped to loosen known froze bolts with a blunt nail set in a hammer drill and putting it in the middle of the bolt head and letting the hammer drill jog the froze bolt prior to trying to removing also put the PB blaster on it whenever you can. This may work just as well on the studs but be sure it is in the center and do not do it to long and mushroom the broken stud still in the head.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This doesn't help with them broken off but: my engine is coated with heat resistant paint. When my head bolts seized, I had to scrape off the paint where the bolt shank would be. I exposed the aluminum and with a little heat from a pen torch to the shank area, (not the head) and pb blaster, they came right out..it shouldn't take that much heat...butane should suffice. You sound like you are familiar with the machine shop..