Alignment problems

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1979 140 horse mercriser serial #5213648. I replaced the gimbal bearing last spring and removed the drive 2 times after that, once to replace the drive bellows and later to make sure it wasn't leaking. Later I discover an alignment tool and an alignment are required. I have since aquired an alignment tool and it doesn't seem to want to go in far enough. The drive shaft goes in with a little effort, but this tool doesn't want to enter the splines. Any advice would be helpful. The boat is a 19ft. 1979 Bayliner incase that might matter. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alignment problems

Put some grease on the end of the tool (cover the last section), and insert the tool. When you pull it out you'll see lines in the grease... If the grease is undisturbed, then re-insert the tool and try and move the gimbal bearing around with it....

Just had a thought... When you replaced the gimbal bearing, how did you do it? Did you replace ALL of the bearing, including the bearing carrier?

Chris......

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I'm also very interested in hearing any advice and answers to this issue as I'm having exactly the same problem. So rather than hijack or post another thread I'll simply wait with much anticipation for responses.
Many Thanks:

kilowatts

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your tool won't slide in all the way bump it up, down and side to side.... I usually just use the heel of my hand. Like Chris said, the bearing is gimbaled and will move in the carrier. Once the tool will slide in all the way do the fine tune adjustments per the OEM manual. Good luck.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I replaced the whole assembly. It feels like the tool is hitting the entrance to the splined section. Are you suggesting I apply some force to get it to go in the rest of the way? and how much?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If it's badly mis-aligned, it won't go in. I had a special two-piece alignment tool made for these cases. The gimbal bearing portion of the tool is a hollow tube and the coupler part fits inside the tube with a just a few thousandths of clearance. I can use either half of the tool by iteslf or both together like a normal alignment tool. It allows me to easily figure out which way to move the engine if things are way out of alignment. It also helps in stiuations where a burr is keeping the tool from going into the coupler, making it seem like an alignment issue. I local machinist made me the special tool and a regular alignment tool for a total of $70. You could likely do the same if you can't get this sorted with a regular tool.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Well I have been trying get it in there but it will only go in about a half an inch. I guess I will loosen the mount and adjust it up and down and see if that will help. Can it be that far out of adjustment that i can't get the bar in, yet the driveshaft will still go in?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Did you grease the bar to see if it's hitting High, or Low,..??

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I did. It seems to be wiping the grease off the top of the bar. It will only go into the spline about a half an inch and then it feels like its hitting bottom. I lifted the front of the engine a bit and the binding seems to have gone away but it will still only gos in about an inch. I don't Know what the next step is.

Friscoboater

Captain

Having the same issue. I can see the splines on the bottom of mine.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Well I think I have solved this problem! The bar goes in almost 2 inches past that second ridge. It seems the adjustments are much finer that I thought. Only half a turn on that adjusting nut at a time. I compared the depth with the driveshaft and from the o-ring closest to the yoke to the end of the tool, there is about 1 inch of drive shaft left. The tool goes in and out with relative ease, a slight bit of resistance. I'm wondering if this is what we are looking for. I have tried to attach a picture. Ken

Attachments

• 1979 Bayliner.jpg
    1979 Bayliner.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya figured it out,...;)

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all your help, guys. Its all back together and I fired it for the first this year. Next time I will change the oil and do the rest of the spring service. We still have ice on the Red river so it will be a little while before I'm on the water. Thanks til next time. Ken

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Thanks for all your input and advice. Clearly the problem is "operator error" which really means I have to be more careful and make smaller adjustments until I have it right, eh?

kilowatts