lost the title for my boat !!!

bgooden

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a boat and trailer about 6 months ago .I registered the trailer in my name and not the boat (because it needed some work). I went to register the boat and i seam to have lost the registration. Do i need the registration or do i just need the bill of sale. I cannot get ahold of the guy i bought the boat and trailer from, i hope i'm not screwed!!! Please help!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: lost the title for my boat !!!

Wrong forum bro, try the general boating, non repair forum.

GatorMike

Ensign

Lol I took my boat to Bimini with the wrong title in the glove box once. The Bahama Immigrations official acted like I stole the boat. I think the guy was just trying to scare me because after giving me a hard time he let me in anyway. BTW couldn't fax over the proper title because a storm had just came through and knocked out all phone lines on the island. Had me a bit worried, didn't even feel like spending the night in some Bahama jail.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved this to Boat Topics. I am going to delete the post in the other thread bgooden as that was from 2002 . . . ;) This thread should do the trick. Good luck!

dewey0726

Cadet

You can probably contact the state and get the current registration sent to you. That and the bill of sale will probably suffice. If not get with the previous owner and ask them to get a replacement registration.

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Depends on if your state titles boats.. Alabama does not so a title does not matter here.. Just need the bill of sale to get it registered....

bgooden

Seaman Apprentice

I live in NC and i cant get anyone to help my right now ..They say i need a notorized bill of sale and the registration for the boat. PROBLEM is i don't have either. I do have a bill of sale ( NOT notorized )i bought it in the country,no notory...I did get the trailer in my name (from his ).I have the hull #. I bought the trailer and got the boat for free and now i want to float the boat this summer PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you go back to the person who "gave" you the boat and ask him to sign off on an ownership certificate (if in fact needed in your state) and "if" he has one?

If he does not have one or will not help you, trot on down to the local boating agency and ask them what should you do in this case. Present your hand written bill of sale as evidence, even though it is not notarized. Better than nothing.

Google your state's boating/registration/titling agency and see what the regs say.