Saturn SD-365 (Q's for the experts)

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice
Putting my order in at the end of the month. Probably also buying a Nissan 9.8 4-stroke also (found an oppurtunity to get a good deal on one). Going to be mostly doing fishing along the California coast, with some lake fishing thrown in for fun. Had a couple questions for the raft experts out there:

1. With the air floor, is it possible to spray something on it to make it more resistant to punchures? I plan to have many rock fish and ling cod coming in the boat, and the chance one might hit the floor is higher than none. If that happens, I'm sure holes will be a poppin'. Im trying to keep it lite, so another option is the aluminum floor, but I would need sealant also (rust).

2. The sides of the rafts are in the situation. Pulling in fish, my uncles raft has taken a few spines in the side. He rigged up some ghetto tarp pieces hanging off the side. Id like to do something a bit nicer looking. I heard something about some urethane or some kind of paint you can put on sides that will make it stronger. I heard it is expensive, but it wont weight a ton, and it is still flexible for deflating. Not sure what it is though.

3. Would anyone have an suggestions on an oil or conditioner to put on the exterior for winterization (deflated). Any homemade tricks? Im sure there is "special" solutions for $100/oz, but I was wondering if anyone had any homemade tricks for this situation?

4. Recommendations for a inflat/deflat air pump that doesnt cost $200? Was looking for more in the $100 or less category, and I need something that I can use via car cig outlet. I saw one on here called the RULE air pump or something like that for $85. Havent seen any reviews of it though.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Saturn SD-365 (Q's for the experts)

Your best bet would be to not get that cheap PVC boat and to get a Hypalon fabric boat instead. Hypalon is a lot more durable than PVC.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Your best bet would be to not get that cheap PVC boat and to get a Hypalon fabric boat instead. Hypalon is a lot more durable than PVC.

Hmmm....maybe Ill add a thick strip of Hypalon on each side of the raft. That might solve the side issue. Im trying to keep this raft thing at a reasonable price. That is why Im gettin the Saturn. Thanks for the non-intentional tip!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Unless you want to use two types of glue to get the hypalon to adhere and want to spend $200.00 for the extra material I would rethink adding that on. If you are sold on the Saturn, buy PVC material as it costs less and then you will only need PVC glue. By the way, I love PVC fabric boats as they keep our service department busy:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Let sib as it is, get a thick inner cover and place on top tubes & floor, kill the beast before going into sib, just in case :D Thin hypalon, not the one that Rambo uses, will puncture with hooks as easily as Saturn sib PVC fabric. If going for the air mat floor, cut a thick carpet same size as air mat and place on top, just inflate to it's recommended pressure for best rigidity.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Inner Cover.JPG
    Inner Cover.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 0

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Let sib as it is, get a thick inner cover and place on top tubes & floor, kill the beast before going into sib, just in case :D Thin hypalon, not the one that Rambo uses, will puncture with hooks as easily as Saturn sib PVC fabric. If going for the air mat floor, cut a thick carpet same size as air mat and place on top, just inflate to it's recommended pressure for best rigidity.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the info. I dont think ill need any type of cover, as I wont be keeping it inflated for weeks/months on end. I plan to use it fresh/salt water, and will be deflating it for transport most of the time. When not in use for weeks or winter, ill keep it deflated.

I like the idea for the flooring though. Thanks! I just hope it wont stink with all the fish that might fall on it ;P

PS. Would those rear end stablizers (not to plane) and engine hydrofoil be recommended for my setup?

Scenario:
For ocean trips, ill have 4-5 people, only be going out 1/2 mile. Flat water, DONT need to go 20mph+.

For lakes. Will normally have one other person, maybe 2. Dont plan on going during tornados or extreme windy days.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Scenario:
For ocean trips, ill have 4-5 people, only be going out 1/2 mile. Flat water, DONT need to go 20mph+. For lakes. Will normally have one other person, maybe 2. Dont plan on going during tornados or extreme windy days.

Will be mission impossible to plane a 365 sib with 4 mates with a Nissan 9.8 HP engine, the sib will take you there on a non planning cruise, adding a small hydrofoil on bottom leg will help plane sib better with 2 mates and probably with 3, if lightweight feather champs, the better.

Boaters have their issues/concerns about placing lifters, smart tabs or tail hydrofoils, If going to inflate/deflete your sib constantly, I would go for the hydrofoil, there is a Sting Ray Junior version for small outboards, check Iboats, WM, Defender.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You'll be inflating/deflating sib constantly, if lifters folds nice on transom would be ok, if not, placing and removing large lifters every time out would be an issue... This Sting Ray Junior one piece version is much better that old 2 pieces hydrofoils:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|292329|578838&id=770622 ($ 49.99)
Will perform same on open water or lakes.

Nice Quicksilver Hypalon purchase, congrats!!
That model has already extended flat end cones, so I would place SR junior doel fins instead, much less bulky than lifters.

Happy Boating

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Unless you want to use two types of glue to get the hypalon to adhere and want to spend $200.00 for the extra material I would rethink adding that on. If you are sold on the Saturn, buy PVC material as it costs less and then you will only need PVC glue. By the way, I love PVC fabric boats as they keep our service department busy:)

Back to this question/answer. So now that im getting the Hypalon, can I add an extra layer of Hypalon on the sides for a small layer of protection against fish spines, and would it even make a difference? My main concern is 5-20lb ling cods.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Yes, just use Hypalon glue and remember that there are three factors in choosing Hypalon fabric:

1) Grade

2) Denier

3) Thickness

The grade is unimportant in your case as it relates to blems. The denier is the thread count and the thickness is of course the depth of the material. The higher the denier the stronger the material at a given thickness and the more costly it is. Contact Solution One Maritime(813-241-6654) and ask for Yusri for a bulk material cost. He has some dark gray and light gray in bulk bolts that he can sell you for a reasonable price.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

PS

When you order your engine, from whomever, you will need to get an extra 7 pitch prop. The standard prop on that engine will get two adults up on plane , but would really struggle to get three up.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone use one of these bottom mounted hydrofoils?

http://www.hydro-shield.com/

I have a Stingray, but it isn't enough. I wanted to use them together. I bought a set of the lifters but with my foldup wheels I thought repeat instalations would be too much.