1977 175hp start truble

LAREDO931

Cadet
First time boat owner. I have this motor that starts but the pump that is on the hose before the motor. i was told to press it several times till it got hard. The motor turns on but in order for it to stay on i have to be pressing the plastic pump because it empty out. So i think the motor is suctioning gas i think the pump is bad or something in the tank? I cleaned out the completely so there is no old fuel. Any suggestion Please help

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1977 175hp start truble

Once the engines fires the fuel bulb is supposed to go soft because it becomes a flow-thru device.

If you keep pumping the bulb does the engine keep running,
but if you don't pump it ...does the engine quit?

If you have to keep pumping it the fuel pump on the engine has failed.
=IF= the bulb goes FLAT then thats a different problem but you didn't say so.

1977 is a few yrs and you can expect anything to fail at this point but if you stay on it and do the mainatinance it should be a good runner.

This is new to you, the best money you can spend at this point before getting too far along is the factory service manual, its the best $50 you will ever spend on a boat, its gonna save you a fortune.
Get the model number of your outboard and look it up, order the book.
Don't buy a seloc or other 3rd party book, get the genuine OEM.
www.outboardbooks.com

I would go through the whole engine and make sure all the critical systems are in good order. The manual will help with that immensely.
The things to watch are;
water pump.
Carbs
gear oil.
Compression test ea cyl and write the numbers down.
Decarb engine.

If you do the work you'll have peace of mind.
Post your location too.

If you don't when any of these were done previously they should be done, its all simple DIY.

LAREDO931

Cadet

So if the engine fails what is the problem? fuel pump? thanks for all your time!!! I just order the manual.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You should only have to prime the hose bulb a few times at start-up each day. If the engine will only stay running if you constantly prime the fuel supply hose bulb, then you probably have a weak fuel pump(s). (That engine has two in-line pumps on it.) You should do some additional investigating. When that engine was made, the original fuel hoses, pump bladders, etc, were made out of rubber which was not compatible with today's ethanol fuels. Both pumps, bulk hoses and the special (formed) fuel hoses under the cowling all should be replaced. Original hoses can breakdown, causing bits of hose to flow through the fuel system and potentially lodge in the carb jets-maybe causing a lean condition. Worse, they can crack and leak fuel. Hopefully, a prior owner may have changed them.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check carefully for air leaks in your fuel system. You can check between the primer bulb and the carburetors by putting a little pressure on the primer bulb while watching for fuel leaks. If fuel can get out, air can and will get in.

Check that the covers on the fuel pumps are tight and that the gaskets are in excellent condition.