1972 johnson 50 electrical problem!! please help!!

ok, so i bought a johnson 50. 2 cylinder 2 stroke. it did not have fire to either cylinder. i read out the components, and found the stator has high resistance. the timer base has an open circuit. pullled the flywheel and low and behold.... a brand new stator and timer base had been installed. upon inspection, found timer base had the face rubbed off by the flywheel.(explains the timer base?). the stator had cracked on both stator winding covers. the honey like substance was leaking down the engine block.(explains the high resistance?). but... these parts looked like they had just been pulled from the shelf.not a speck on them. my question is what made that stator crack on both coils and leak?it couldn't freeze could it? rectifier maybe? power pack? i found a crack in a coil too. coil feedback?parts are really addin up here. i'm trying to get an ebay stator. timer base is already ordered. can i test the power pack and rectifier without burning uo the stator and timer?PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME A HAND ON THIS ONE. THANKS

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 johnson 50 electrical problem!! please help!!

Welcome to the board but,
I think you would have better luck if you posted the the Johnson outboard fourm.
This fourm is for BOATS NOT ENGINES.
Maybe they will move it for you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 johnson 50 electrical problem!! please help!!

Don't repost though... a mod will be along to move it for you soon