Backfireing

Lostfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 40 hp johnson electric start. I Turn the key and run the starter, however the motor backfires once or twice, before it begins to run, every time the motor is started. Does anyone know why this happens and how it can be fixed? I believe the motor is in time. Could it be the points not set right?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Backfireing

Well that would effect timing but it would happen all the time, the motor would backfire all the time if that were the case, have you done a basic health check on the motor, spark , fuel , compression, pull the flywheel to inspect everything- points, coils, flywheel key?

a70eliminator

Captain

Maybe your expecting a little too much out of a motor that old, it's not going to start like a modern fuel injected engine. My 67 will spit and sputter during warm up maybe even stall one or twice if it's cold out, once warmed up a bit she runs great and can chug 6 gals of premix in no time.
Could be a tad lean on the mixture at idle, link-n-sync adjustment out of whack could contribute.

Lostfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not looked under the hood yet. I just got done with the wireing and was testing to see it it would start and stop the motor.