Merc 50 Belgium - year?

PeteMercury

Recruit
I'm trying to find out the manufacturing year of my 50 HP Mercury, Made in Belgium, serial number 9100594. And if you have it, where did you find that info? I only found the US Mercury serial number list... According to my search on these pages it could be 1976-77.
Another question: if I need spare parts for that engine, is is identical with US engines of that time? And if not, where can I order parts for engines (from 1975-1981) manufactured in Europe? Do the parts of my previous 1981 50 HP Mercury fit this older engine?
A third one, relating to the previous questions, but also to history: If the US & European engines are not the same ones throughout the years, when did they start to separate and for what reason? (I actually suppose they might have developed slightly into different directions in some minor parts and solutions...)
Pete

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Merc 50 Belgium - year?

I'm trying to find out the manufacturing year of my 50 HP Mercury, Made in Belgium, serial number 9100594. And if you have it, where did you find that info?

1975... I use the electronic parts catalog...

PeteMercury said:
I only found the US Mercury serial number list... According to my search on these pages it could be 1976-77.
Another question: if I need spare parts for that engine, is is identical with US engines of that time?

Identical in every respect. All parts are the same. Belgium was just an assembly plant.

PeteMercury said:
... Do the parts of my previous 1981 50 HP Mercury fit this older engine?

Some will, some will not....

PeteMercury said:
A third one, relating to the previous questions, but also to history: If the US & European engines are not the same ones throughout the years, when did they start to separate and for what reason? (I actually suppose they might have developed slightly into different directions in some minor parts and solutions...)
Pete

Chris............