67 sc cuddy

dodge_punk

Seaman
I know you are all gona recomend me to the tech pages, but i whent through them all, couldnt find reallly what i was lookin for, I need to replace the wood in the back of the boat "engine mount" wood, I for some odd reason cannot think of the name of what its called... lol, its the 67 cuddy in the pics in my last posts, all i need to do is replace that wood, hit me up with a link or sometheing, but i dont want to pull any alum apart... doesnt need to be done yet, but will someday soon, guess i just want to know if i can just replace that wood, without having to pull the whole back of the boat off... thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67 sc cuddy

On my '66 Jupiter I took it off and didn't replace it. It really serves no purpose other to rot and look bad. You don't see that board on newer aluminum boats or on any glass boats. My SS came with a piece of diamond plate there instead of wood. That I will probably keep and reinstall.

Andy in NY

Commander

Just to be clear, are you talking about on the OUTSIDE of the hull?

this is what you are refering to, right?

IMG00216.jpg

NOT this...
IMG00236.jpg

Like EZ, i opted to NOT replace it.if you prefer it, then replace. cut a new piece and fiberglass it for extra waterproofing. DONT use pressure treated. if you cant use the one thats there now for a template, i have one that i was going to use that i can get you the dimensions...

btw, you should think about starting an official resto type thread and keep all your questions there, instead of starting a new thread about each question. believe me, the guys who are going to answer are going to keep following your thread.

dodge_punk

Seaman

okay. thanks guys, but I am talking about the wood, the actual transom wood, not just a piece that is on the outside but in the inside of the boat on the back of the transom. it is rotted in the top right area. other then that it is fine. im just thinkin about someday replacin it, illl take more pics and get your guys input, and ill keep it to one thread.. thanks again

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ah well then the 2nd pic Andy posted should make the process pretty clear to you :) Just remove the corner caps, trim piece and any bolts or screws and slide it out. (getting it out of there is the worst part unless it's completely rotted.

On my Jupiter, the transom was rotted but was reinforced by the previous owner with a big piece of angle iron. It was plenty strong. However, everything was was bolted through the rotted wood leaked like a sieve. So I ended up replacing it. I thought the transom on my SS was fine but when I pulled it out, it looked like Andy's.