Which trolling motor for my Q6

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased my Q6 without a trolling motor, and am now looking to put one on. I liked the motor guide w55 wireless but want to make sure a 12 volt 55LB trolling motor is going to be enough for my boat. I may have no choice since that is what the original setup is wired for. Any experience on this boat out there? PS. It is the 2006 fish and ski.:confused:

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Which trolling motor for my Q6

I have a q4 SF with a 55 LBS 12v motor guide and it pulls it around pretty good...Kind of slow unless it is on the highest setting but it does a good job... It is not wireless so I can not attest to that aspect of it...

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Koko, thats why I was wondering if the 55lb was strong enough for my Q6, even though it was designed for it. That`s as high as i can go with the 12v system it`s wired for. I`m not sure if the wiring could handle a 24v if I add another battery?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have this exact setup...
2007 Q6 Ski & Fish. Bought it from someone getting a divorce last fall. The original trolling motor and mounting plate were stollen. I ordered the mounting plate from Tahoe and got the Motorguide W55 54? inch length. First time in the water was yesterday. I'm not a "fast power troller" so it worked fine for me. I could drop it into the water and troll at 25% power and cast away making small corrections to the direction.

The only drawbacks I see are the way its cradled... you can't grab a rope and pull it up into a stowed position. You have to grab the head and pull it up while turning it to mate into the cradle. And, the way the shaft is attached to the cradle puts alot of stress on a small area. I turned the motor to 100% a couple of times with a little flex - but once I drifted into the bottom and it flexed quite a bit...

I'd buy it again. Wishing I'd sprung for the integrated transducer.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the 12v 55lb wire less on my Q3 s/f and love it for my use. I use it hard trolling for walleye & stripers . Batteries only last 4-5 hrs at the best but this is running it at a const draw, so I always have two on board .

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input guys. J Rampey I just bought the aluminum plate online today. 220.00 bucks!!! I had a helluva time finding one. I was hoping ebay or used, but no luck. I know I can live with the w55 motorguide and probably 2 batteries. I`m still curious, if anyone with our Q6 setup has used 24volts thru original connector at the bow. Please keep me updated as to how long you can run the w55 with one 12 volt.Thanks again guys,can`t wait to get her on the water.

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, I didn't remember the exact price for the plate - but it was not cheap I remember... It came with the two metal disks already attached to my hull. I put them back for the future.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same setup. 06 Q6 S/F and bought it without the trolling motor. I have ordered the W55 wireless. I have the original aluminum plate and know that it will not work. I asked the local Bass Pro Shop and they priced the new style plate at $289!! Where are you guys finding the plate? I was thinking of taking my originial "old style" plate to a local machine shop for modification. Also, can you add the transducer to the W55 later? I did not buy the one with that setup either. But I have a fish finder with dual transducer capability. Thanks.

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a friend of mine mill to make my own plate at a cost of a little under 100 and me doing the machine work.My w55 doesn't have the built in transducer (wish it had) however I have made do with a ss hose clamp , plastic zip ties small rectangle piece of alum that I fastened to left front grab rail next to the trolling motor. For this I used part of a rail mount rod holder and ss bolts with wing nuts to fasten it on as well as be able to remove it fast as well. I do use a ss coated cable and lock to go around the grab rail & motor to keep people honest as it's very easy to remove the complete thing.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

mccownk, i didn`t know the plate was different. I don`t know which one I will get. What needs to be done to fit a w55 on it ? Is it just a matter of drilling different holes?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to use the old style plate... here's some pictures. The W55 trolling motor has its own mounting plate. I mounted it directly to the Tahoe plate overhanging about 4.5"

Attachments

• 100_1675.JPG
    100_1675.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1676.JPG
    100_1676.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_1677.JPG
    100_1677.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 6

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

J Rampey, that doesn`t look bad at all. It`s good to know that even if I get the old style plate, the W55 will fit. Have you had a chance to test it out on the water yet? I was wondering if it had sufficient power to move the Q6 around, and for how long. Did you get the 54IN. ?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep - I got it out for the first time Wednesday of this week. For most of the time I was using about 10% power puttering around docks. Probably ran 4 hrs. Had maybe 20 minutes of 100% power just trying it out. GPS said 4.2 mph top speed. I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries still had more than 50%. and Yes I have the 54" model... seems to be the right length - prop never surfaced but not so deep as to hit bottom either. Now if I could just learn to fish!!!

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what I mean by "old style" mount. I cannot mount the wireless mount because of the spring plate on the front of this. Where are you getting your mounting plates? I am thinking of modifying this one if I have to.trolling motor mount.jpg

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops! yours is different - as you can see mine is flat on top. I ordered mine from a parts counter at the tracker dealer near the Tahoe plant in Missouri. I called the following number - Tahoe's customer service - (417) 873-4555 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am to 5pm Central Time. I explained what I needed and they referred me to the tracker dealer... my online payment was described as Tracker retail Springfield... What to do???

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MCCOWNK,You have the same trolling mount as do ,It can be adapted to fit. I used a one and one-half inch thick piece of aluminum plate to make mine.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Paul. I am thinking of taking the plate to a machine shop and either adding the plate as you did or cutting and welding the front piece with the springs to make it flat like the newer plates. It depends on the cost, but I do like the clean look of the flat mounting plate. If they weren't so expensive I would spring for the newer style plate. Tracker sure is proud of that plate to be selling it for nearly $300!

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mccownk, i`m waiting for my plate to be delivered, and don`t know which i`m getting. When I ordered it, I didn`t know there was a difference. Keep us posted on how you modify your plate, In case I get the one like yours. I`ll do the same as soon as I get mine in my hands to scope it out. Maddog

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mccownk just got back from vacation. I did receive the old style plate with the spring. Have you figured out what has to be done to make the W55 trolling motor fit?