Cleaned carbs, new plugs, spark, will not start

Camlocker

Cadet
I am stumped. ~ 84-85 Mercury Classic 50. I let my boat sit for a few months without winterizing it...strike one. I drained the old fuel, bought new and mixed 50:1. Removed carbs, cleaned them and realized bottom carb had a stuck needle. Reinstalled both carbs and replaced all fuel line. Bought four new plugs and getting really good fire. Now my problem, I'm getting fuel, spark, but no start. I have tried everything I know to do. It ran like an absolute champ last year, but this year, nothing. What could I have done wrong? I removed the starter, could I have criss crossed wires somewhere without knowing? The starter gear now stays connected to the flywheel, I don't remember it doing this in the past.....please help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cleaned carbs, new plugs, spark, will not start

Go to the Engine FAQs Forum, Camlocker. Do "Outboard won't start".

Let us know how you make out.

Camlocker

Cadet
Re: Cleaned carbs, new plugs, spark, will not start

Thanks for the guidance. I had good luck. Apparently, it or I was flooding the engine. I let it sit for a few hours and tried it again. Studdered a few times and finally started. I put the muffs on it and ran it for a while. The weird thing is the pisser was very hot to the touch. Steam almost. I shut it down and will take it to the lake tomorrow for a spin.