1989 Evinrude 50hp timing issue

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 89 Evinrude 50hp 2 stroke, VRO removed. I purchased this motor last summer, and it ran fine for two months, maybe a little rough but it still ran fine. I decided to check the timing in August and found that it was -8 degrees BTDC (8 degrees AFTER TDC,). The timing should be 19 degrees BTDC. So I adjusted the adjusting screw on the linkage, but I can't get it past 2 degrees BTDC. I've adjusted the screw as far as it will go. I went as far as removing the little black plastic adjustable arm that links the timing base and the linkage, and shortened it to get the timing base to come out more, still no result. Should I remove the flywheel and inspect the base? I'm certain I'm using #1 cylinder with my timing light. Timing light is used. I've also noticed a black gue that seems to accumulate under the two relays that control the trim pump. Everytime I clean it, it gets back in there and occassionally the trim pump won't work due to the gue preventing contact between the relay connectors and the relay base. I wonder if that gue is coming from the top of the engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Evinrude 50hp timing issue

What rpms are you checking the timing? The idle timing is set ATDC. The roller in the linkage may be missing the outer shell, which is clear tubing.

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

I'm checking it at idle 300 RPM (2 BTDC), and 3000 RPM (closer to 8 BTDC)...

The sleeve you mentioned, where is that supposed to be?

Thanks,

Bob

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob, I have a 1990 Johnson 60. The timing procedure for it is very specific and quite detailed. You need a factory correct manual, not aftermarket. I doubt if that engine will run at 300 RPM. Are you sure about your tach accuracy? Is it on a 4 stroke settinig? Is your timing arrow really at exact TDC? 3000 RPM is not full advance. There is a Joe Reeves procedure up here on how to set the timing at cranking speed and it works pretty well. I really would get the correct manual. (OMC)

clanton

Rear Admiral

This is page 1 of 4 pages. The roller is item F, photo must match your engine. This engine also has ignition module under the flywheel. If your engine has external power pack, cannot use this photo. The roller should have clear plastic sleeve. Without sleeve the linkage is sloppy and the timing moves back and forth about 5 degrees. Linkage C is for maximin spark advance, at full throttle/5000rpms, with the engine in farward gear, in water. If all adjustments correct, the idle timing should fall within specs, if not, redo link/sync.

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much...this looks just like my linkage, yes the sleeve is missing. I'll replace. Also, I never checked at full WOT, only at 3000rpm and 2000rpm while not in the water.

Thanks again,

Bob

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

I used the page out of the manual that was posted above. I followed instructions exactly and had to make a lot of adjustments to the linkage to get it right. I checked the timing again at 3000 rpm and 5000 rpm in the water and timing was perfect. Thanks for all your help guys, I ordered a factory OMC service manual today, I'm not going to use the Seloc manual anymore.

Tight lines,

Bob