definitions of outboard terms i hear

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
my new boat to me now has an outboard motor. other boat is an inboard outboard 2.3 liter ford and was easy for me to work on. can someone tell me what these terms mean that i hear at the boat dock or at the bait shop. they sound expensive and sure i will need to know what they are. powerhead,stator,and im not sure if i got these right. coil pack,rectefier. and while im on here so i dont have to create another post. is there a way without taking to a professional that you can tell if your getting all your horsepower out of your motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: definitions of outboard terms i hear

Howdy, YK.

The powerhead is the engine part of the outboard.

The stator is the part of the ignition system that does not rotate.

The powerpak is the electronic part of the ignition system.

The rectifier is the part that turns the AC generated by the alternator into DC to charge your battery.

Without putting it on a dynamometer the best way to be sure that your engine is making full power is to see if it will reach the top of its operating range in rpm while on plane and under full load.

Your questions tell me that you need an OEM Service Manual real bad. www.outboardbooks.com

Good luck. :)

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB already hit the high notes. The stator fits under the flywheel and generates electrical current when the magnets in the flywheel rotate. This
current is then sent to your power packs( switch box/s) then the trigger
tells the power pack when to send the current to the coil which increases
the voltage and then goes to your spark plug.
The trigger fits inside your stator.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was conserned about the cranking battery. so i guess it gets charged by the motor. only have to charge the trolling battery . right?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Right.

What model/size outboard do you have now?