Evinrude Idle speed- TOO HIGH WTF-I need ideas

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1994 Evinrude 112spl outboard. I took the lower unit off a few weeks ago to change the impeller. I removed the carbs to see if they looked gummed up. They looked fine so I just sprayed them out with carb cleaner and put them back on. It started a little hard the first time this year and it seemed like it wanted to flood and then die. Once I pulled up the high idle lever enough it ran fine. When I put the lever back down it seemed to idle higher than I remember. With the muffs on in neutral and fairly warm it idled at 1500rpms. Is that too high? I am hoping that my memory has just failed me.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Idle speed-What should it be?

bump
I find it very hard to believe nobody know this.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

bump
I find it very hard to believe nobody know this.

Do you expect instant 24/7 answers here? You asked a question around 9:00 last nite and by 7:00 am this morning you are complaining?

650-750 rpm, in water in fwd gear. Don't adjust on the muffs.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not complaining, just surprised. Usually this forum is pretty lightning quick. Sorry if I came off bad.

fgz

Cadet

Its pretty tricky if not in the water, 1500 on the flusher is too high for sure. If you developed an air leak or lean condition when carbs went back on, this cause a higher than normal idle! If the book says 650-750 in gear than you should probably be seeing 850-900 on your flusher. Not exact but around there. 1200-1500 TOO HIGH. Hope this helps!

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my factory manual today and just looking through it quick I have not found any specs for the idle speed. I need to dig into it deeper I guess. I scanned through the mixture adjustments, but I shouldn't need to mess with that. It ran great last year and all I did was take the carbs off and spray them out and put them back on. I gess I need to check for an air leak now.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I got my factory manual today and just looking through it quick I have not found any specs for the idle speed. I need to dig into it deeper I guess. I scanned through the mixture adjustments, but I shouldn't need to mess with that. It ran great last year and all I did was take the carbs off and spray them out and put them back on. I gess I need to check for an air leak now.

Check section one of your factory service manual, "Synchronization and Linkage Adjustment". Note that it is a step by step process intended to be done in sequence, exactly as written.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I found the spec in the manual under a different section. It says idle should be 600-700 in gear. Question for you guys, How long does it need to warm up before you would check that spec. Roughly how long would it need to idle before it gets up to operating temp? Also I take it it will be about 200rpm or so over spec with the muffs on vs in the water then? Thanks in advance for the help.

coolguy147

Commander

best if done in the water

dont rev motor past 2k when on muffs.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Idle speed- TOO HIGH WTF-I need ideas

Ok guys. I need some ideas now. I edited my title in hopes to get more help. All I did on this boat was change the carpet in it, change the lower unit fluid, and put in an impeller. I took off the carbs to get to the pinch bolt to get the lower unit off. I sprayed them out with carb cleaner. They looked very clean and no varnish. Now it idles too high. I even took it apart again today to see if something obvious was going on and nothing. Last year it idled great and I don't believe it was too high, I never really paid attention what it was at to tell you the truth. Now it idles anywhere from 1200-1500 rpm on the muffs and no difference whether in gear or not. When you put it in gear it ratchets a little first, I assume cuz the idles so high, and I don't like that. I can't get to the water quite yet, and don't want to until I get this idle down at leat to 1000. I need some ideas and advice and what to look at. I am convinced its something I must have done, or I have some sort of air leak somewhere that I cannot pinpoint. HELP!!

D

DJ

It will idle high, on the muffs. Not much you can do about that.

-Do the Synch/Link as suggested.

-Always shift it QUICK. DO NOT let it "ratchet".

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

You should expect 1000 to 1200 on the muffs. There is no back pressure for the exaust when the leg is not submerged. When the leg is submerged and in gear there should be enough resistance for it to idle around 700rpm.

You've got to do that link n synch and ensure that all the butterfly valves are completely closed at idle.

You didn't mess with the timing stop screw at all did you?

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I took off the air box I had to take off the control cables. I took them off the cam arms for each one. I also disconnected the linkage between the two carbs. I just popped it off the top follower and then popped it back on when I put the carbs back on. I did not move anything else, so I should not have messed with any timing stuff. The service manual I have in pdf form seems to jump all over between different motors and it's hard to keep track of the synch and link instructions. If I didn't mess with the timing do I have to mess with checking the tdc and timing marks on the flywheel first? Do I just need to do the link adjustment on the carbs and on the throttle cam?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

When I took off the air box I had to take off the control cables. I took them off the cam arms for each one. I also disconnected the linkage between the two carbs. I just popped it off the top follower and then popped it back on when I put the carbs back on. I did not move anything else, so I should not have messed with any timing stuff. The service manual I have in pdf form seems to jump all over between different motors and it's hard to keep track of the synch and link instructions. If I didn't mess with the timing do I have to mess with checking the tdc and timing marks on the flywheel first? Do I just need to do the link adjustment on the carbs and on the throttle cam?

At a minimum the carb butterfly valves must be in synch. They should be completely closed at idle and horizontal at full throttle.

You only need to know TDC if you are going to check/set the timing.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can safely assume that timing should not have to be checked if I did not mess with any of that? All I took off was the carbs.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Correct.

The best way to adjust the carburetors is with the throttle cable disconnected. Once you have the throttle plates closing completely at idle position and the roller correctly positioned on the alignment mark, adjust the cable so that it slips on without moving the throttle lever at the engine.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ezeke. I kind of figured it was an easier thing and I was overcomplicating it. The service manual I have is on pdf and it jumps around from remote to tiller and from hp to hp and it gets confusing to keep it straight without printing out the whole thing. I will get this straightened out today and see how it idles.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

So far so good. I noticed the butterflies were out of sync a little. The bottom carb was open just a hair. Now they are completely closed and the cable is adjusted to just slip on the pin. When the control lever is wide open the butterflies are very near parallel. I couldn't run it very long due to the neighbor having clothes out on the line. I don't think he wants his laundry smelling like two stroke. I started it up quick on the muffs and when I got it to steady out and idle it was at around 1200. I will try it again when I can get it hot. If it all checks out then I plan to find a day I can take it to the lake and just back it down into the water and run it on the trailer. There are no piers in yet and a lot of ice on the lake so the landing shouldn't be getting used. Thanks everyone and I will update with good news or bad news when I get a chance. The boat and trailer both are scheduled in my books for paint the next two weeks so I may not get it to the lake any time soon.

jonesg

Admiral

If it keeps idling too high...did you use new gasket on the carb?
Thats where I would suspect an air leak.