Lack of 24 or 36 grit sand paper

SCItalian

Cadet
Hey again guys just one quick question. I've searched high and low in town and surrounding areas for 24 or 36 grit sand paper. Lowes, Home Depot, Even hit Harbor freight and Northern tool. All seem to be out when i arrive and still out. So I went another route and used my grinder with a metal grinding wheel. I've secessfully worked my way into new glass on transom. My question is should I just worry about getting new glass to surface or should I hit it with a 24 or 36 grit sand paper after I've ground out the old glass? I have 60 grit in spades and really is the only sand paper product I've found around here. Finding supplys locally hasn't been easy at all for what i'm looking for. On a good note my boss's friend runs a factory in town that produces poly resin for the many boat builders here in Charleston,SC so i've lucked out in not having to pay a hazmat fee to get resin here. Finally goin to storage unit this weekend to get cable to get the billion pics I have of the boat restoration so far. I will repost with pics as soon as I get them. Finding info on this hull has been super hard. The manufacturer's plate on splashwell is beyong sun faded. Anyone know a trick to be able to show the auctual imprint in plate sense the ink is long gone. The boat is a 15' 1971 Marquis model number and additional info unknown, with a 1973 65hp Evinrude on back(65373R). Thanx again without this forum and all the awesome advice contained in the many threads this would not have been possible. My wife caught her first fish in this boat and now our son will soon have that same exact chance. To other noobs reading this post searching for info push on and read read read cause the awnsers are in here just have to read long enough. I would higly recommend reading http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

redfury

Commander
Re: Lack of 24 or 36 grit sand paper

lots of guys here have done their entire hulls with the metal grinding discs without issue.

SCItalian

Cadet
Re: Lack of 24 or 36 grit sand paper

Awesome thanx red. I'm not exactly a complete noob I've done glass work on the 65ft fiberglass longline fishing boat I worked on but to be honest I was 21 drunk 9/10's of the time(not when glassing obviosusly) and didn't care to pay attention to the type's of resin her was using the mixtures or the glass type and weight. Seems like the endless hours and hours of reading here could have been avoided with a attention than. Funny 9 years later I realize my stupidity go figure lol.