Honda 130A 2005 123hrs

sugibatten

Recruit
WHen I Started My motor This morning There was a tapping, I didnt run it long. I had already drained all fuel last year so I made sure it was getting fuel and let it idle awhile where the tapping became lighter, but was still there on the cranks after the motor was somewhat warm. I believe the first step to take is by adjusting valves, However I do not have the torqe settings for the valve cover, or do I have the feeler guage measurement for the actual valve adjustment. Any information will be appreciated.

IGIFF

Cadet
Re: Honda 130A 2005 123hrs

Here are the valve clearances as follows.Inlet .008-.010 inches
Exhaust .011-.013.
I hate to tell you this but as a Honda tech I can be pretty sure that the problem you have is one of your pistons have picked up and become loose in the bore,there were a few motors in that serial number range that I had to fit new power heads supplied by Honda under warranty

sugibatten

Recruit

My Motor idles at 1200 rpms, there is a tapping sound that sounds like a valve, but it may not when I slowly raise the rpms at 1800 it dissapears and comes back at 2200. I have been racking my brain, I am also thinking that it may not be internal.A bearing may be making the noise,Pully,Altenator I am certain the gas is good because I drained it last year and I have run it for about 20 minutes The tapping seems to get lighter but it is still there. The motor only has 123 hours on it when i bought it it had been sitting for three years with old gas, wow it stunk, I replaced everything from where it comes into the motor all the way to the injectors about a 700$ worth of parts The motor has run good for two years and has always had a little tap to it but this year it seems to be quite more, I am thinking i will check alt, pullys, etc, spray with wd-40 to see if could possibly be external, If i go internal I think I should check the valves first. Any input or thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

IGIFF

Cadet

There should be no tap at all,the engines I referred to started to knock lightly in the first 30 hours of operation from new.Check with your Honda dealer on that one.I should also mention that a faulty fuel pump can also make a tapping sound if the foot is sticking,it will sound very similar to a very loose tappet.This is a very rare one though,I still think you are more than likely hearing piston slap,espeacially if it is louder when the engine is cold and becomes a lot less noticeable when the engine is hot.The best thing is to get a stethoscope and listen to where the noise is loudest,a piston will be loudest just below the cylinder head on the block whereas a fuel pump will be loudest next to the pump on the actual tappet cover.Hope this helps.