Need to pull carburetor 1988 9.9 Johnson

kgfishy1

Cadet
Bought 1988 9.9hp Johnson 10RCES. Hasn't been run in 15 years. Starts but floods out (gas spills from carburetor into housing). Need to pull/clean carburetor. OEM service manual $75+. No can do. Seloc manual worthless. I've disassembled/cleaned/reassembled many carburetors so I don't think I need help with that. Problem is that access to the right nut securing the carburetor is blocked by flywheel above and rope starter assembly to the right. Anybody know the steps required to get access to and remove this carburetor? Anybody got an exploded view? Will pulling the flywheel give me the access I need?
Thanks,
K.Lott

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Need to pull carburetor 1988 9.9 Johnson

I posted this exact procedure yesterday for another 9.9 / 15 hp owner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok try this:

Remove the carb from the motor, you will need to remove the top air box, choke lever , idle adjustment knob, fuel line and the starter on the right. When you remove the starter keep the bolt in it and put a clamp or tape around the top and bottom of the housing to keep it together.

1. remove the carb, 2 nuts hold it on.
2. remove the carb bowl, 4 screws hold it on.
3. Observe the float height and the way the needle is held on by the clip, the kit will have a new needle and clip, has to go back on the same way.
4. Remove the idle needle, the knob was on it before you took it off, it sticks out the front of the carb
5. Remove the seat, it was the brass coloured item the needle was in, sits in the bottom of the carb, has a slot in it, use a big screw driver.
6. Top of the carb is a round disc called a welch plug or core plug, use a thin punch to drive through the plug and pry it out, there should be one on the side too. DON"T go nuts going through this plug or you will go right through the carb body!
7. Soak the carb in carb cleaner for a few hours
8. Wash the carb with water then blow it out with compressed air paying close attention to the holes that were covering the welch plugs and the tube that runs up the center of the carb.
9. Put the welch plugs back in, convex side up, I use a 3/8 extension and a hammer to flatten the plug. Seal the plugs edges with clear nail polish.
10. Put the new seat in from the kit.
11. Put the float or new float back in with the needle and clip holding it in place, same orientation as it was when you removed it. Make sure the indent in the float faces upwards. The float should be parallel with the carb body. If the float height is not correct , use a straight screw driver against the metal part of the float and bend it in the direction you need to get it parallel. Put the bowl back on with a new gasket.
12. Put the idle needle back in, seat it, don't tighten it tight and back it out 1 1/2 turns.
13. Put carb back on with new gasket against the intake if the kit came with, if not check the old gasket to make sure its ok.
14. Reassemble every thing else, hook up the gas, pump the bulb solid, check for leaks, pull the choke, set the throttle to start and pull it over, push in the choke once it fires. I put the idle adjustment knob on half way and fine tune until I find the sweet spot then I will push the knob in all the way. When it starts it may run fine, if it pops it's lean, turn the knob to the rich side until it runs smooth.

Hope this helps.

kgfishy1

Cadet

Thanks, bktheking. Great post. I'm sure it will be very helpful. First, though, what parts need to be removed before I can access that right nut?
Many thanks.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The recoil starter is all (beige in colour with a metal cup underneath, has teeth that mate to the flywheel) , flywheel can stay on. Keep the bolt through the starter, if you do not the top of the starter will come out and the spring inside will fly out and possibly take your eye out with it. Make sure you either clamp the starter together or use electrical tape to wrap it up.

kgfishy1

Cadet

Many thanks, bktheking. Other than the obvious nut in front, what else needs to be removed before the recoil starter can be taken off the motor?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Nothing that I can think of, it's held on by a long bolt and that's it.

kgfishy1

Cadet

Starter taped. Can you look at this photo and help identify the long bolt that secures it? Many thanks.

Attachments

• recoilstarter.600.jpg
    recoilstarter.600.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Rotate the flywheel till the notch for lines up with the brass coloured bolt, then you can put a socket on it, I believe it's a 9/16ths.

2 things I need to change about the carb process.

1. This is a plastic top carb, the screws need to come out, the top removed, soak just the metal carb body, place the gasket and check to make sure the screen is clean, you'll see it once you remove the plastic.
2. There is an orifice in the bottom, not sure on this carb but you may need a special screw driver to remove the orifice for cleaning, maybe someone else knows.
3. There are no welch plugs to remove, disregard.

kgfishy1

Cadet

Great reply. Carburetor has been removed. I will disassemble/clean/reassemble over the weekend and post the results. In the meantime, would you please look at the attached photo of what I will call the throttle cam sleeve (not knowing the right term). I believe that it has a piece broken off and needs to be replaced. Many thanks.

Attachments

• throttleSleeve.600.jpg
    throttleSleeve.600.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

ROLLER, CAM FOLLOWER & O-RING part # 0396236 from BRP dealer

kgfishy1

Cadet

OK, I give up. Removal/disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of carburetor all went smoothly. New part arrived/installed no problem. But, I cannot figure out how to remount the starter. When I tighten the center bolt, it causes the plastic spindle to pull away from the brass colored base. The bolt is lined up properly with the hole and goes in easily. But, in addition to the pulling apart problem, the starter assembly seizes when tightened so that the rope won't pull. What am I doing wrong. Many thanks.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The starter cup has a metal tang coming off the bottom, a lock if you will , that prevents the starter cup from turning. I can almost guarantee you that this tang is not in the hole that it mates on the powerhead, look near the thread where the bolt threads into, you will see it.

kgfishy1

Cadet

bktheking, I bow to thee, oh omniscient one. The tang was indeed the problem and lining it up and the mounting bolt while fighting the tension from the spring coil and keeping the assembly from coming apart was an absolute bear. Any tricks that you can impart for future starter installation would be much appreciated.

Let me know if there is something I can do for you. My world is computers so if you have an issue, contact me directly and I'll help you with it.

The deep, dark, and dirty deed is done and the ol' girl purrs like a kitten. Many thanks.

K.Lott

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Glad I could help and thanks for the computer offer, managing a wan/server farm is my profession as a matter of fact so if I get stuck i'll call on you.As far as the starter, yes they are a PITA to get back in but that is nothing, at least you didn't have to wind the spring in by hand and get it all set up again, that way was a shortcut albeit still a PITA. Once you do a few of them they become easier. Glad to hear it's running now :D

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hopefully you wont have to take that carb off again but this is how I take mine off on the same type of engine. Instead of taking the recoil/rope pull starter off take a skinny flat head screw driver snake it behind the recoil starter and your throttle/timing plate linkage and take out the screw that holds the plastic lever that connects your timing cam/plate to your actual fuel/butterfly throttle on the carb. Once this is out of the way it is still a little tight but you can access that nut with a small 11mm open end wrench. I know this is not the way the manual will probably tell you to do it but I can take my carb out clean it and reinstall it in less than 15 min. Not sure if its a better or faster way but atleast I dont have to deal with with that darn recoil,lol.

kgfishy1

Cadet

One last question: I assume that the center bolt on the starter is tightened to where it binds the rope/prevents it from dispensing. Then, back off the bolt until the starter cord moves freely. Is that right?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well here's another "got ya". There is a washer inside that cup, if you had the bolt out and the washer "moved" then the spacing is off, maybe the washer isn't in there at all. I put my 15 back together today and had to put the starter back on. I tightened it tight and no binding, no backing off the bolt.

kgfishy1

Cadet

I wonder if there is a disadvantage of leaving the washer out and the bolt backed off slightly (other than possibly loosening up over time with vibration). It seems to be working properly. Also, do you know the function of the "nozzle well"? I've not encountered one before (that tiny brass fitting was tough to clean!). Many thanks.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's exactly what i'd be worried about, that big long bolt coming out while running, the starter letting go - just bad all around. What are you referring to "nozzle well", the carb?

kgfishy1

Cadet

Where is this washer supposed to be located? What's the best way to disassemble the starter, reposition this washer, and reassemble? Pic attached of the "nozzle well." It's part #2. Thanks.

Attachments

• NozzleWell.jpg
    NozzleWell.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0