72 Evinrude shift problems

70worm

Recruit
I have a 72 evinrude 65HP it started with no reverse, when it tried to go it would just grind like the solenoid wasn't strong egnough to shift it. This went on for about 2 years, no big deal I can live without reverse, but then I was out on the lake and it stuck in forward. That same night it went into nuetral and wouldn't pop back into forward, like the solenoid wasn't strong enough to to shift. Now it is stuck in forward and I don't think the solenoid is working. It sounds like solenoid but I wanted to ask before I spend alot of money to buy this part. It also looks hard to fix, alot of parts and alot of chances to screw it up. If it matters I have the push button shfter it seems to be fine. Or is there any chance it can be shifted manually. Thank You for your help!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 72 Evinrude shift problems

That's the same motor I have. I believe those solenoids are no longer manufactured, so I imagine you'd be paying top dollar for an old used part.

If you're not sure if it even is the solenoid, but you are sure it's the lower unit and not the control box, why not look into used lower units on ebay. I had problems with water in my oil which persisted after I changed seals, so I just bought a lower unit off ebay for $200. Seems to be quite a few out there and some going for cheaper than what I paid. That way you have salvageable parts from your current lu if you need them in the future.

By the way, welcome to iboats!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't go buying anything until you troubleshoot the system and figure out what is wrong with it.

1st things first. Check the oil in the lower unit, if the slightest doubt, change it. Use only Premium blend oil from BRP/Evinrude.

2nd thing: Always check the voltages going to the blue and green shift wires beside the powerhead. Expose the connectors but leave them connected. With key on and forward button pushed, there should be no voltage to either wire. With neutral button pushed there should be battery voltage to the green wire only. With the reverse button pushed, there should be battery voltage to both blue and green wires. Push the buttons a whole bunch of times, looking for intermittant operation. If not reliable, you have a bad push button switch or a defect in the wiring.

If all that checks out, THEN you are ready to consider the lower unit. The first thing you need to know is that the solenoids do not shift the gears. It is shifted by hydraulic pressure supplied by an oil pump. The solenoids only operate the hydraulic flow control valves.

Given the symptoms you list, the hydraulic piston in the oil pump is probably sticking. That happens because the oil was not changed regularly and very fine grit got into the piston bore and imbedded itself in the soft aluminum. If that is the problem, then the only cure is a lower unit overhaul. Sorry 'bout that.

70worm

Recruit

Thank you for your help! After I posted my question I found a detailed Description of how this system works and now it sounds like it needs oil, like it dosn't have enough pressure.