98 Merc 200 HP oiling system false alarm, what is most likely the problem

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have determined the oil pump IS turning and pumping. I get the three beep signal when the key is first turned on but when the motor is started it pulse beeps continuously. So it would appear that this means the pump rotational sensor or the module is bad or both.
-Is there a way to troubleshoot the components individually so I don't have to guess?
-If I blank off the pump for now and mix oil in the tank, will that allow the pump shaft to run out and possibly ruin the gears on the shaft and crank?
-From your experiences, which part is more likely to be bad, the sensor or the module?
-Since I get the three beep signal when the key is turned on does that mean the module is probably OK and it is likely the sensor?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 Merc 200 HP oiling system false alarm, what is most likely the problem

The sensor in the tank on the motor might be stuck in the down position.
It's messy but drain that tank and see if the float moves.J

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sensor in the tank on the motor might be stuck in the down position.
It's messy but drain that tank and see if the float moves.J

The float is free but I have not troubleshot this sensor, crap, yet another possibility. Wouldn't it beep continuously if this was the problem with the motor off and the ignition switch on? Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you suspect the cap, just unplug the light blue wire. If the problem is the cap, then the beeping will stop. If the beeping doesn't stop, then it ain't the cap!

Check out Jonesin thread on troubleshooting the oil warning system....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376800

Chris.......