Long shaft on 15" transom

Stormy 2

Recruit
I just went and looked at a used,2006 AMI delpin 15.5' inflatable with a 2005 Tohatsu 25 hp motor. The boat is like new with nothing at all wrong. Excellent condition! The motor was on a stand and we started it and it is also like new. I told him I would buy it for $3800. I asked him how the motor pushed the boat and he said great but at higher speeds it would get a little squirrelly and some cavitation plate extensions would help. Told him I would pay and pick up tomorrow. After I got home I looked at some pictures I had taken and the motor looks like a long shaft and the transom on the boat is 15". Hard to tell in the pictures. I called him to measure the motor shaft length but we were not sure where to measure from. After finding out to measure from the saddle to the top of cavitatin plate it was too late at night to call back. I really like the boat and motor but I think I would have to fabricate a transom extension to get the 5" to get the most out of the motor as well as go in shallow water. He said he bought as a package and I would not think the dealer would have set him up with the longer motor. Maybe I am wrong but it looks long. I hate to shaft the guy and I really like the boat but is it worth it? What does it hurt to operate it with a longer shaft? Thanks

Stormy 2

Recruit
Re: Long shaft on 15" transom

I went a measured it and it is a 15" shaft which is what I need. Can't wait for the ice to melt so I can put it in the water.