Impeller damage and leaking milky fluid. Where cld it b comin from?

FD-20c

Cadet
I notice there was no water coming out of the motor so i knew the water pump is bad. Then a little later i notice a leak coming from the shaft. I was wondering if there's some old school johnson head out there to help me get through this problem. Already ordering the impeller and LU oil. I need to know what are the other seals i need to stop it from leaking or oozing out brown. Down below are some pictures i took while i was dismantling it. Thanks in advance for any help .
sean

Attachments

• Photo1343.jpg
    Photo1343.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1346.jpg
    Photo1346.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1347.jpg
    Photo1347.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1348.jpg
    Photo1348.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo1352.jpg
    Photo1352.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Impeller damage and leaking milky fluid. Where cld it b comin from?

The oil seeping out looks just like partly burnt oil from the fuel. Normal for a 2 stroke.

But check the gear oil for signs of water ingress.

Read THIS ITEM from the Engine FAQs board

The pump looks badly worn. You'll probably need a repair kit not just an impeller.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can't use muffs on that motor to test run it. You'll burn up the new impeller as quick as you did the first one. You'll need a barrel.:cool:

FD-20c

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Vic.S and 1946Zephyr.Vic.s, When i pulled the shaft apart i notice milky fluid on the drive shaft seal.Water probably is leaking if the gear case is milky right, vic? I have to order some washer for the vent and fill screw.Couldn't get the bottom screw off as of right now. zephyr i think that's how i burned up the impeller in the first place, from them ear muffs. So i shd be okay with an impeller kit and new gear case oil? How wld i go about flushing that milky fluid out of the gear case and what gear oil weight shd i use ? I also read in the forum of using sealer 1000 in between the cases. what do you guys think ? Sorry for so many questions guys, my first outboard project. I like to do things the right way.(OCD)haha Here are some more pictures i took.. Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it.
sean

Attachments

• Photo1345.jpg
    Photo1345.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo1354.jpg
    Photo1354.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo1356.jpg
    Photo1356.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

yes if the oil in the gear case is milky there is water getting in. You could have prop shaft or drive shaft seals gone the gearcase seal or even the shift rod seal.. Note carefully how any that you remove are fitted.

Can't think what you were trying to connect the muffs to but you can make a plate with a hose connector on it that fits in place of the water bypass cover plate. A barrel is better though... you don't get your feet wet and it silences the exhaust noise.

The oil is high viscosity outboard gear oil (eg Hi-Vis) About sae 80/90.

If you need to flush the gear case You could fill with a cheap automotive engine oil ... the cheapest.. give it a quick whirl in the barrel, drain thoroughly and then refill with the correct oil.

On the subject of sealers Joe Reeves says

Gasket Sealers
(Usually available at any reliable automotive parts type store)
(J. Reeves)

Do Not use any type of sealer on outboard carburetor or intake manifold gaskets as this would cause blockage of various fuel/air passageways. Also, there are new type gaskets, including head gaskets, which are used through out the engines that are coated with a substance that gives a shinny appearance to them. These gaskets are coated with a self sealer and are to be installed as is.... no sealers! Older style head and fuel related gaskets that are not coated with this substance are to be simply coated with oil.... nothing else.

All other gaskets (hopefully I've not overlooked anything above) should be coated with Gasket Sealer (the type that comes in a can that has a small brush in its screw off cap). This also pertains to some water pump installations that use a gasket between the plate and the lower unit housing.

Marprox Sealer 1000 or OMC Adhesive or Boat Armor Sealer 1000 (same substance) should be used on any metal to metal or metal to plastic surface (such as impeller hsg to plate) to eliminate air leaks. It should also be used on the Spaghetti tubing that is used on many powerhead crankcase halves, lower unit skegs, etc. I have found that this substance works quite well on various "O" Rings such as what are found on lower unit carrier and upper driveshaft bearing housings (Note that this substance is obviously not to be used on all "O" Rings).

DO NOT use any sealer on the large "O" Rings that are used on the upper and lower crankcase heads (The housing/heads that slide over the top and bottom of the crankshaft). On those "O" Rings, use only a coating of grease.

The exception of surface to surface contacts pertains to the later model matching crankcase (block) halves (which does not incorporate spaghetti tubing) which call for "Gel-Seal", or any other surface that calls for Gel-Seal. This substance seals in the absense of air, and if called for, must be used. One other form of Gel Seal that can be substituted is "Loctite #518". Nothing else that I know of will do!

I advise against using silicone or permatex on a outboard engine. It simply will not function properly. The exception to this (as per OMC's recommendation), is to use the black Permatex (heavily) on the gasket 306242 which seperates the inner exhaust tube from the exhaust housing on the 1959 35hp and 1960 to 1970 40hp OMC outboards.​

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No sealer between lower unit and midsection.

You need a complete water pump kit (your pump housing is garbage). The BRP kits are best and may still have instructions packed with them. BTW , NEVER run a motor dry or you can pretty much count on being in for an impeller at minimum.

To find the LU leak, drain all gear oil and pressurize to NO MORE THAN 15 psig and place under water. The bubbles will tell the story. Milky gear oil means water intrusion for sure. Replace the bad seal(s).

If you don't have a shop manual, you may find one very helpful. Get an OEM one (Fleabay or kencook.com).

FD-20c

Cadet

thanks for the reply guys. I wrote a long reply but when i hit submitt, it says im not logged in. dang it ! im limited on time so ill make it brief.

vic.s how do you go about pulling the seals that cld be leaking in the gear case ? When i unscrewed the level screw it didnt have a gasket. so that might be the plm there. there's a rubber piece that hooked up to the copper exhaust pipe that got smashed up and stuck in the water pump housing.
Next time i will use only a barrel, no more ear muff. I have some left over auto oil from oil changes i did. I called bob marines for parts and he told me to just use kerosene or flush it out with gear oil. The impeller kit cost $65 dollars. gear oil . 16.0z for $7.60 (johnson/evinrude). he says he has some impeller and housing in stock but his comp only dates back far as 1968. Mines a 1966 motor. Looking at the spark plug the bottom plug is black and the top is brown. lean and rich ? which one is the nbr one cylinder ?

wilde1j, no sealer. gotcha. Thanks for the guide to where to purchase the parts . brp kit. I will look that up . I read some post on how to pressurize the LU and submerge under water with 8-15psi and watch for bubbles. How do you go about doing this ? where do you stick the tube with compress air ? the drain plug or the level plug ? Im more of a visual learner.

Again guys. i thank you for helping me with all my question . Making the process faster then if i was to do this all by self with trail and error. I will keep you guys updated when i get my parts in .
sean

jonesg

Admiral

Unless you can see a bad seal try changing the gear oil and put new ring seals on the drain plug screws, very often the problem is just the drain screw seals.

I had the same problem and new screw seals did the trick.
If your drain screws are stuck use an impact screwdriver, a smart tap with a hammer will shock them loose, get one from sears for $25 or less.

I like the Lilse tools from autozone,
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CBoQ8gIwBA#

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

thanks for the reply guys. I wrote a long reply but when i hit submitt, it says im not logged in. dang it ! im limited on time so ill make it brief.

vic.s how do you go about pulling the seals that cld be leaking in the gear case ? When i unscrewed the level screw it didnt have a gasket. so that might be the plm there. there's a rubber piece that hooked up to the copper exhaust pipe that got smashed up and stuck in the water pump housing.
Next time i will use only a barrel, no more ear muff. I have some left over auto oil from oil changes i did. I called bob marines for parts and he told me to just use kerosene or flush it out with gear oil. The impeller kit cost $65 dollars. gear oil . 16.0z for $7.60 (johnson/evinrude). he says he has some impeller and housing in stock but his comp only dates back far as 1968. Mines a 1966 motor. Looking at the spark plug the bottom plug is black and the top is brown. lean and rich ? which one is the nbr one cylinder ?

wilde1j, no sealer. gotcha. Thanks for the guide to where to purchase the parts . brp kit. I will look that up . I read some post on how to pressurize the LU and submerge under water with 8-15psi and watch for bubbles. How do you go about doing this ? where do you stick the tube with compress air ? the drain plug or the level plug ? Im more of a visual learner.

Again guys. i thank you for helping me with all my question . Making the process faster then if i was to do this all by self with trail and error. I will keep you guys updated when i get my parts in .
sean

Either the drain or fill hole is fine. Make or buy an adapter and/or a complete LU tester (there was a guy selling something on Fleabay some time back that had the gauge and adapter ... all you needed was compressed air.) BTW, a good LU will retain some pressure for at least 45 minutes for the larger motors. Typically you have a few potential problem areas: drive shaft, prop shaft (2 seals/back to back), shift shaft and the drain/fill screw seals. Never allow the pressure to go over 13 to 15 psig, or you will be replacing all seals, whether they were bad or not. When replacing prop shaft seals, inspect the prop shaft carefully for grooving. If present, make sure new seals do not seat in the grooved area.

FD-20c

Cadet

Thanks Jim for the info. I will go on "fleabay" and look for that kit. Soon as i get all the parts ready i'll take some more pictures to post up and keep you guys updated.
sean