Outboard motor trolling speed

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day, On another board forum I have access to, several guys claim their 2 or 2.5 OB's generate too much speed for optimal trolling. I own a 15 hp Force and a 9.9 Johnson both 2 cycle, and I can get both these OB's idling almost too slow for trolling. These OB's date back 1997 and 1981. These guys are obviously refering to later model OB's. My question is: Has there been so many changes to late models motors that would make them idle faster ? TX

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Outboard motor trolling speed

I believe that. Normal idle speed for a 2.5 Merc is 900-1000 RPM. Idle speed for a 9.9 or 15 is 675-775 RPM.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I've been trolling just fine with a 200hp Johnson for years, troll it at about 1,200 - 1,400 RPM depending on the current. Never had a problem with going too fast.

I mean if I had a 200 on a 14ft boat yeah maybe, but it's pushing a 25' boat, so it's all relative.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The small single cylinder models tend not to idle down (RPMs) as low as a twin, so sometimes, depending the boat size, it may troll too fast. The other thing is very few people actually adjust the idle on there kickers and then they complain it won't go slow enough.

rndn

Commander

I've been trolling just fine with a 200hp Johnson for years, troll it at about 1,200 - 1,400 RPM depending on the current. Never had a problem with going too fast.

I mean if I had a 200 on a 14ft boat yeah maybe, but it's pushing a 25' boat, so it's all relative.

I'm sure your setup works great on the salt water, but in fresh water walleye trolling you'll need to get down to 1mph or so, sometime less. To achieve that speed I use my bow mount Minn Kota trolling motor. Works great and on a single 27 battery I have trolled for 6 hours and still showed half a charge on the guage.