Type C/Premium Blend Gear Case Lube for old electric shift Starflite's

Hey guys,

I have a 1962 Evinrude Starflite IV 75HP with Selectric Shift.

The OMC repair manual says to use OMC "Type C" gearcase lube in the lower unit. But I've read that it has been discontinued and now the correct lube is "Premium Blend Gear Case Lube"

I found the Type C lubricant in the iboats.com online store.
http://www.iboats.com/Type-C-Gear-Oil/dm/*******.986715963--**********.708999429--view_id.45019

Can someone verify that this is the right stuff? How much will I need?

Thanks,

Jack.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Type C/Premium Blend Gear Case Lube for old electric shift Starflite's

That is the correct stuff as packaged by Sierra Marine. Don't ask me what's in it 'cause I don't know. I don't know what's in Premium Blend either. You have to get Premium Blend from an Evinrude dealer if you want it.

Is there any quality difference? I will probably just go with the Type C Sierra stuff because I've got to get carb rebuild kits and stuff from here aswell.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Probably nothing that you'd ever notice if there is a quality difference. The gear oil need to be changed at least once a year, so it is not in there very long. It is not near a combustion source, so the oil doesn't get contaminated by fuel. I have personally never seen a lower end failure caused by oil quality. They die because of leaky seals, which causes the oil not to be oil anymore and let in water to trash the bearings, no oil, oil that hasn't been changed at all, bad shifting practices, etc. The gear faces and clutch dogs will eventually fail due to wear. That really does not have much to do with the oil but is part of the nature of the shifter design.

When you get the motor running, I would suggest that you check the oil after the first run. If it looks fine after the first run, then you can probably go the rest of the season without changing it. If it looks like coffee with creamer, then the seals are leaky. Watch for fishing line wrapped around the prop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are no clutch dogs in electric shift motors as used in 1962. But instead, there are electrically operated friction clutches. Those friction clutches are what makes it fussy about the oil. Wrong oil can allow them to slip, which ruins them. Believe me, you don't want to be buying new ones. Back to the quality issue, I don't know. I suppose you just have to figure out if you trust the Sierra (Teleflex) company to do the right thing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Bit of an update, the Evinrude boat shop down the road had some genuine Premium Blend Gear Case lube. I drained the old lube (hardly any in there) and filled the leg with the new lube.

I connected the battery and the shifting works perfectly. Even got the engine running after a short while.

I'm ordering parts from the store now. Gonna start a new thread because it's off topic. I will post a link in here soon.