cleaning the carby

i have a 15hp johnson outboard and it needs a carby clean what is the best way to do this. pictures if possible of how to clean it. :confused:

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cleaning the carby

alll the pictures you need will be included in the manual you buy.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: cleaning the carby

ok try this:

Remove the carb from the motor, you will need to remove the top air box, choke lever , idle adjustment knob, fuel line and the starter on the right. When you remove the starter keep the bolt in it and put a clamp or tape around the top and bottom of the housing to keep it together.

1. remove the carb, 2 nuts hold it on.
2. remove the carb bowl, 4 screws hold it on.
3. Observe the float height and the way the needle is held on by the clip, the kit will have a new needle and clip, has to go back on the same way.
4. Remove the idle needle, the knob was on it before you took it off, it sticks out the front of the carb
5. Remove the seat, it was the brass coloured item the needle was in, sits in the bottom of the carb, has a slot in it, use a big screw driver.
6. Top of the carb is a round disc called a welch plug or core plug, use a thin punch to drive through the plug and pry it out, there should be one on the side too. DON"T go nuts going through this plug or you will go right through the carb body!
7. Soak the carb in carb cleaner for a few hours
8. Wash the carb with water then blow it out with compressed air paying close attention to the holes that were covering the welch plugs and the tube that runs up the center of the carb.
9. Put the welch plugs back in, convex side up, I use a 3/8 extension and a hammer to flatten the plug. Seal the plugs edges with clear nail polish.
10. Put the new seat in from the kit.
11. Put the float or new float back in with the needle and clip holding it in place, same orientation as it was when you removed it. Make sure the indent in the float faces upwards. The float should be parallel with the carb body. Put the bowl back on with a new gasket.
12. Put the idle needle back in, seat it, don't tighten it tight and back it out 1 1/2 turns.
13. Put carb back on with new gasket against the intake if the kit came with, if not check the old gasket to make sure its ok.
14. Reassemble every thing else, hook up the gas, pump the bulb solid, check for leaks, pull the choke, set the throttle to start and pull it over, push in the choke once it fires. I put the idle adjustment knob on half way and fine tune until I find the sweet spot then I will push the knob in all the way. When it starts it may run fine, if it pops it's lean, turn the knob to the rich side until it runs smooth.

Hope this helps.