big ding and not supported very well alluminium tinny

hi i have a very big ding on the front of the boat and i took out the middle seat of my tinny and it is unstable and you can bend the hull. the ding has been welded over but it is slowing the boat down. what should i do to fill the ding so it cuts through the water better. and what do you sujest to do to strengthen the hull:confused:

Attachments

• 12112009061.jpg
    12112009061.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: big ding and not supported very well alluminium tinny

and what do you sujest to do to strengthen the hull

Ayuh,... Put the seat back in...

Have to See the dent to say how to Fix it...

Triton II

Commander

Hi Hayden,

Images of the damage from outside and in will help iboaters to help you. Generally tinnies are pretty easy to fix - aluminium is malleable and weldable so you can beat out the ding and then weld up any tears etc. Then reinforce with welded or rivetted in ribs from the inside. To pretty it up you can use a filler, but it's not imperative. It's probable that your hull is flexing without the seat in place because the seat acts as part of the structure. However, this is guesswork, some pictures of the damage will be a great help.

TII

is there any to strengthen it so i dont need to put the seat back in.

pics of the boat and the ding

Attachments

• 08022010163.jpg
    08022010163.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 13112009081.jpg
    13112009081.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 08022010160.jpg
    08022010160.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

bananaboater

Ensign

Looks like the aluminum is really thin. The ding might be hammered out but you will have a hard time getting it perfect. The way it is now no wonder it is slowing you down. The only way I can see to reinforce the hull is to put the seat back in. Good luck.

backlashed

Seaman

Once you get it pounded back out, you may be able to use some expanding foam under the floor to help support it. Tough call

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can see why you don't want to put the seat back in. For the leg room. I'm no structural expert, but you need some kind of cross member to replace the bench you removed.

You can get a smooth metal patch to go over the dent on the bottom. The contours would have to be made to match the original shape (not exactly) then rivet it to the boat. I would get a pro for that job.

Do you know exactly how much the dent has slowed you down or are you speculating? For example: It might not be worth the trouble for 1mph.

Good luck.

Triton II

Commander

Hi Hayden,

I wouldn't use the boat without the middle seat rivetted back in - it appears from the pictures to be the main structural brace to hold the boat in shape. The ding doesn't look too bad and the weld looks pretty good, but if you really want to de-ding her a little, I suggest a quick trip to your local panel beater. Good luck.

TII

do you think some supports welded on the side like all the new tinnys have would do it without putting the seat back in

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Based on the damage and how far forward it is as compared to that seat....... yes some welded or riveted heavy duty braces will help however...... that dent will continue to spread if not acted upon.

where can you buy alluminium strips that would support my tinny

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What are the road signs made out of?? Normally if a driver hits a roadsign here it will be replaced and here they are mostly good quality aluminum....... scrap yards have aluminum...... or go to a manufacturing place and purchase new.

I like to look for scrap and used stuff first....... makes me feel like I am helping the environment and I can be really cheap at times!! ;)