spark plug

redfish1940

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried to buy champion spark plugs today for a 200 johnson ocean pro .
QL78yc they sold me crossoverNKGR7HS the champions are set at .030 . the NGK are set .020 right out of the box.
Should I reset them? to .030
thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: spark plug

Yes, if your specs call for .030 then set them to that. Rarely plugs come pre gapped as they do not know what motor you are going to put them in.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take them back and go find the Champion plugs.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, gap them to the engine's specs. Unless you buy a plug that says DO NOT GAP like some of the new iridium and platinum plugs do you always set the gap to factory specs!!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I do not believe they are even the NGK equivalents of QL78YC. In fact did not find one listed

The "Q" denotes a low resistance or "inductively suppressed" plug These are required for OMC CD ignition systems and also recommended for motors with VRO and OMS

The R in the NGK plug indicates it has normal resistance suppression

But I cannot find R8HS either Have you misread the number. are they non suppressed B8HS ?

For that reason take them back and get the recommended QL78YCs

If you had said you had been given NGK BZ7HS-10, because the Z indicates inductive suppression, I would not have been so concerned. BZ7HS-10 are also the equivalent of QL77JC4 which I believe were originally listed alternative plugs for the engine.

redfish1940

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im sorry my typing stinks. .The Ngk plug is BPR7HS. I did find a cross refernce
for the QL78YC.and thats it.
I went to three auto stores and they dont sell them. only nkgs

Ill find them at a marina. I guess
Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry my typing stinks. .The Ngk plug is BPR7HS. I did find a cross refernce
for the QL78YC.and thats it.
I went to three auto stores and they dont sell them. only nkgs

Ill find them at a marina. I guess
Thanks.

They are without doubt available. When you find them get a couple of sets.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Yep, ya gotta use the Q style Champion plugs in a Johnson or Evinrude.

Auto supply stores may not stock the QL78YC but they can get them in a day or two. These are also at West Marine, almost any marine dealer, and sometimes at Walmart or KMart in the boating section.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I picked up a set of the Champ QL78YC at my BILs AutoZone store. He was surprized he stocked them. A little over a US buck and 1/2 each. Last year I had to have them ordered at a local Auto Parts store. $2 ea.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

US buck and 1/2 each. Last year I had to have them ordered at a local Auto Parts store. $2 ea.
You jammy bu**ers. ?2.88 (GBP) is the online price in the UK.
That works out at $4.20 each !

Champion plugs are not always easy to obtain in the UK , at least over the counter. NGK are commonly available.

The NGK BZ7HS-10 that I mentioned are ?4.78 each that's $6.98 each. But plugs last a long while in the uk.

Mr5Keepers

Cadet

I tried to buy champion spark plugs today for a 200 johnson ocean pro .
QL78yc they sold me crossoverNKGR7HS the champions are set at .030 . the NGK are set .020 right out of the box.
Should I reset them? to .030
thanks

By all means get the champions,,, NGK plugs do have a narrower heat range than champions,,, the "7" is a fairly warm plug.. I would prefer to run an "8" and make sure the air/fuel mixture (jetting) is correct or a tad rich..

I run QL78YC in my modified 225HO/TR21DC.. with 86 main jets.. I run .030" gap.. they run a light chocolate brown, with the timing retarded 4 degrees (for long term reliability) at 6,200 rpm = 75.2MPH -gps w/30gal gas and two people.

Auto Zone sells the Champion plugs for $1.99 each... MUCH less than your boat dealer or marina!!

Factory trained mech,
Steve

clay_wallace

Cadet

I've got a '95 Evinrude Intruder 175 and the other day it started running badly, seemed like it had fouled out a spark plug, so i called around and found some to replace them with. It had the champion QL78YC 's in it originally but all i could find around here were the NGk BPR7HS 's. I didnt have a gapper so i just put them in as they were. I then went and ran the boat and it ran great but it has a noise coming from the moter, like a knock or rattleing sound im really not sure. Could this be caused by the NGK's or possibly not being gapped right??? Please Help

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The noise shouldn't be caused by an incorrect spark plug. I recommend you get a gapper, set them correct, and if the noise persists, start a new thread.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

all i could find around here were the NGK BPR7HS 's
They have resistive suppression, denoted by "R". You should not be using resistively suppressed plugs only inductively suppressed ones. "Q" in Champions or "Z" in NGK denotes inductive suppression.

I have not been able to find an NGK equivalent of QL78YC !

Mr5Keepers

Cadet

Hey Clay..

the "P" in the NGK is for a projected tip.. PLEASE be careful as these MIGHT go deeper into the combustion chamber than they should...

AGAIN - GET THE CHAMPIONS!! PERIOD! Auto Zone - any decent parts store can get them!!