Evinrude 40 bigtwin 1963 starter problems

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried to jump this motor upon purchase, to test compression. The starter turned the motor a couple of times for testing purposes. It sat in my garage for a couple of weeks and I tried to see if it would start. I tried to jump it again and the starter turned twice at slow speeds. a few attempts later the starter would not spin. no click, no spin.

I assume I fried the starter. Can this be fixed?
any recomendations?

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 40 bigtwin 1963 starter problems

You say that you are jumping it. What do you mean. Are you hooking it to a battery? If so is that battery fully charged? Check the voltage coming into the starter make sure you are getting enough juice. IF the starte is engaging I wouldnt necessarily go out and get another one just yet. Try the voltage. If you have atleast 9 to 10 volts coming out of your source then I would look at the starter. If not then look at the source of power. If you are trying to jump it with jumper cables not all cables will produce a full charge of electricity. So check voltage coming in and go from there.

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes fully charged battery. Good cables.
Tha starter will not spin or engage ----- as it did before.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How are you turning it over? By key switch or by trying to short the screws.

If key switch take a dc test light and check that you are getting fire at solenoid when the key is turned to start.

IF by screws bad idea, that will burn a starter up in a hurry. I dont want you to have to change a starter unless you absoloutly have to. They are not that bad to change but why waste the time if it is somthing electrical?

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also I found the solenoid here on iBoats. The part is under, boat motor parts, Johnson parts, starter solenoid, scroll down and you will find yours. Hopefully thats your issue.

I couldnt find the starter. It may be here somewhere. More experienced IBOATers may be able to point you in the right direction.

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

with jumper cables right to the starter posts
I am coming to the conclusion that this is not a proper way of starting the motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How do you know the cables are good? Did you actually take the connections off and clean them? If not, do it. It costs nothing and fixes about 2 out of five "bad starter" complaints.

If you want to test the starter in place, go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do the starter troubleshooting in "Outboard won't start".

Let us know how you fare.

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jumper cables!

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The soleniod is not connected to the motor, and all cables coming out of the motor are cut. So I am trying to start this motor with jumper cable and gas. I was told that its doable. This motor is off of the boat and on a stand.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with JB on this one.
Great advice. Use it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The soleniod is not connected to the motor, and all cables coming out of the motor are cut. So I am trying to start this motor with jumper cable and gas. I was told that its doable. This motor is off of the boat and on a stand.

It's do-able. With a known good battery, clamp the negative jumper right to the bracket that mounts the starter. Touch the positive to the positive stud on the starter. The starter should jump up and go. If this method works, it's in the cables. They have to be clean and bright at all of the connectors including the grounding point at the block. They could also have issues like corrosion inside of them, which is hard to find unless you do a voltage drop test across each element of the starter circuit.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went back and read your other post so I could better understand your issue. WoW!!!!!! You are in for some real work ahead of you. So from your thread I gather that you are bypassing the solenoid. Taking jumper cables and hooking one end to the battery and taking the other end and trying to supply voltage to the starter. If that is what you are doing and your starter doesnt pop up and spin than I would take the starter off and go for a new one. You could always try to rebuild it but I dont know that you can find the parts.

You may find a used one on ebay if you get lucky. Sorry we couldnt be more help. I really had hoped that we could resolve the issue with out having to replace the starter. But it is what it is.

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went back and read your other post so I could better understand your issue. WoW!!!!!! You are in for some real work ahead of you. So from your thread I gather that you are bypassing the solenoid. Taking jumper cables and hooking one end to the battery and taking the other end and trying to supply voltage to the starter. If that is what you are doing and your starter doesnt pop up and spin than I would take the starter off and go for a new one. You could always try to rebuild it but I dont know that you can find the parts.

You may find a used one on ebay if you get lucky. Sorry we couldnt be more help. I really had hoped that we could resolve the issue with out having to replace the starter. But it is what it is.

Thats ok. This is what I wanted to know.

Can you or anyone explaing what the starter solenoid actually does? I can't wrap my head around it. Does it increase amps to the starter?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thats ok. This is what I wanted to know.

Can you or anyone explaing what the starter solenoid actually does? I can't wrap my head around it. Does it increase amps to the starter?

No. It's a switch. Battery + on one side, Starter + on the other. Switch it on, and the starter operates

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No. It's a switch. Battery + on one side, Starter + on the other. Switch it on, and the starter operates

An ELECTROMAGNETIC SWITCH
You switch it on by providing voltage to one of the small posts. There should be a heavy (green 10 gauge) wire that connects the battery side of the solenoid to the bat terminal on the ignition switch and a 14 gauge white wire that connects between the "S" terminal on the ignition switch and the solenoid.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y309/tootallofwa/Junctionboxdiagramsm-1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/...958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg?t=1179771951

mottt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great this is helping.
Thanks for all the posts