Riser gasket.....Permatex Gasket

ktmrider

Seaman
I ruined the riser gasket while replacing the hoses. Now, it's leaking water under load. Can I use the Permatex High Temp Silicone gasket maker?
It's rated to 700 degrees.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Riser gasket.....Permatex Gasket

Ayuh,... It's your boat, you can do Anything ya want...

I'd buy new gaskets,+ fix it Right, myself...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I ruined the riser gasket while replacing the hoses. Now, it's leaking water under load. Can I use the Permatex High Temp Silicone gasket maker?
It's rated to 700 degrees.

It's REALLY helpful when you put the make, model, serial, year etc in your post.....

Most newer type riser gaskets go on dry. You can probably put stuff on the gasket and make it work.

The downside is a destroyed engine if it leaks.

Your best bet is to get new gaskets and replace them. They need to be removed (so you can inspect your risers) and replaced on a regular basis anyway. (fairly often if it's a salt water engine)

Cheers,

Rick

ktmrider

Seaman

Thanks! But "destroyed engine when it leaks"? How?
I took the boat to the river and ran the engine underload for a few minutes. That was when I noticed the leaks coming from the riser and exhaust manifold.

5.0GL Volvo Penta SX Drive

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If you can see it leaking Out,...
It's also leaking IN to the motor...

Hydro-lock will bent the rods,... Saltwater will Rust it Solid....

skargo

Banned

I'm with these guys, do it right. I can't think of any reason NOT to do it right? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Riser gaskets are a ONE TIME USE item, along with every other gasket and oring on your engine and drive.
Use the new style Volvo gaskets, not those cheap aftermarket paper things, and follow the directions that come with them to the letter.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks! But "destroyed engine when it leaks"? How?
I took the boat to the river and ran the engine underload for a few minutes. That was when I noticed the leaks coming from the riser and exhaust manifold.

5.0GL Volvo Penta SX Drive

Well,

You have "get there from here" I guess.... If A riser gasket leaks, and it's not on the outside, it leaks on the inside.

The manifold and riser are filled with water when the engine is running. when you shut it off, the water in the riser above the level of the gasket just sits there unless it can leak past the raw water pump.

If one of the gaskets leaks, water will run into the exhaust area and into any exhaust valve that happens to be open (if it's still hot, it could warp)

When you subsequently try to start the engine later, you may have a hydrolock. It won't be a LOT of water and if you let it sit long enough the water may leak past the rings.

If you let it sit for a winter with water in there it would cause a significant amount of rust in the cyl with the open valve.

If you ran in salt water and it sits for even a week or two, it will literally destroy the engine (so that it must be pulled and rebuilt)

Cheers,

Rick

ktmrider

Seaman

With little to no experience, I'm thinking that I'm doing more harm to the boat in trying to maintenance to the boat?

Tell me if I'm screwed....
I've done the following in sequence:

1. Ran the engine out of water without muffs and destroyed the impeller. (Didn't know it at the time)
2. Took it out on the river and ran it for 15 minutes then noticed something burning and then a few minutes later....saw smoke coming out of the engine compartment.
3. Stopped the motor. Wait about 15 minutes.
4. Idled back to shore. (may be 10 minutes)
5. Purchased the exhaust manifold hoses that got melted and replaced. In the process of putting it back together, I had to remove the riser bolts and lift the risers so that I can installed the hoses.
6. In the process, riser gasket was damaged. (didn't know it at the time)
7. Took the boat out to the river and backup the boat into the water.
8. Ran the engine for a few minutes and noticed water coming from the riser gasket area.

So what's the condition of the boat? Did I just ruin the engine?
Great....the boss is going to kill me....

Volvo Penta 5.0 GL SX Drive
5.0GL PWTR - engine code

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you ran in salt water and it sits for even a week or two, it will literally destroy the engine (so that it must be pulled and rebuilt)

After 2 weeks with salt water in it, it's not even rebuildable. We call them anchors.

ktmrider

Seaman

By the way, boat was in fresh water. Boat was never in salt water.