New Monterey - teething problems

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice
All,

just posting some teething problems I've encountered with my boat, may serve as a useful heads up for others, as know a few of you out there are counting the days to get on the water.

First, the boat itself is a 2008 Monterey 194 FS (brand new never registered) with 5.0 MPI 260 Hp Merc engine and Bravo 3 drive. I've had the boat in the water several times over the last couple of weeks to run it in and am now at the 7 hour point.

The problems I've encountered are:

Leaking Gear Lube: this caused some serious head scratching, found out eventually due to a leaking joint in the tube that feeds from reservoir to outdrive (no jubilee clips or cable ties hold the tube onto the joint - only the strength of the tube - it can be slipped off with a finger, yet its located in the most inaccessible area at the bottom of the rear of the engine!!!). Don't know for sure, but may be common to all Bravo drives. More info here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2550313#post2550313

Depth gauge: This hasn't worked properly from day one, constantly alarms, so have had to shut off at moment till dealer fits new one. Saving grace is that believe it is the actual unit on the dash, not the hull transducer that is faulty.

Trim gauge: From day one, this has been well out, so am trusting instincts on where drive is as opposed to the gauge (and avoiding known shallow areas).

Flat battery: Still haven't figured out what drained the power, possibly standby status on stereo - but now always use the isolator when parking the boat overnight.

Boat is currently at dealers having all the above rectified. Despite the above, love having it out on the water - even though I wasn't initially enthusiastic about it's colour (bright bright Yellow) I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of attention it's attracted from owners of other makes.;)

AJ

Last edited:

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Monterey - teething problems

When I purchased my Monterey 250CR new in 07 she went back to the dealer 2 times with a punch list. Please don't think for a second that your new Monterey is sub quality. All my problems and from your list as well were with the acsessory manufacturers. Once you get the little gremlins out of her, you will have years of great reliability and fun. You will also lean if your dealer has a good service department or not.

My dealer's maintenance department was crap and the following year Monterey dropped them and had a new dealership 15 miles away that is far superior.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

Black SNow....am impressed with the boat so far. Like you say its the other parts. Its been back to the dealers once so far and this has fixed the trim gauge issue - but may have left me with a water leak as the dealer had to remove and then reinstall one of the water hoses to repair the gear lube joint that was leaking!

Hopefully tonight I'll see if I'm still losing gear lube as going to visit the boat to check the engine. The depth gauge has been replaced and not made any difference. Hoping that can get the gremlins out of it in next few weeks

IOSLVR

Seaman

AJ what type of depth finder do you have? I have also had problems with mine so was just wondering if you do find a solution. Thanks.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

IOSLVR,

not sure of the part number but in the fitting manual its referred to as this:
http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0091F.pdf

It's one that has the transducer mounted inside the hull (not thru the hull) and has alarms for shallow water, can also be set for keel offset. Sometimes it gives me a reading, but this is always way off for the depth of water am in, and all the time the display is flashing.

Last time at the dealers I was told there was a leak in the transducer and this had been plugged and the actual gauge was replaced. This hasn't made one bit of difference, so it's either the cabling or the transducer. I'm now waiting for the dealer to receive another transducer to try that.

It's winding me up now as I'm in shallow coastal waters and a few times have almost caught the skeg when creeping in to moor just off a beach. Hopefully fixed soon, so once find out will post up....good luck with yours in the mean time.

At least my gear lube issue seems to be fixed and loving the boat!!! :D