jeep suspension

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee I need to pull a 21 foot 3500 lb boat. I've added the tow hitch and trans cooler. I towed a 13' Whaler last weekend and the bumper went down about 1 ? to 2 inches. I'm thinking I'll be dragging my bumper with a 3,500 lb boat. Any suggestions on what can be done with the suspension?

Thanks,

Tom

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: jeep suspension

An air bag system would be the easiest I would think. It would allow you to maintain stock ride quality for everyday and then you can air up when you load up. Make sure that the boat, trailer, gas, and all other equipment doesn't put you over the tow rating for you jeep. Pulling is easy it's the stopping that's hard.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on what kind of suspension is on the jeep. Does it have leaf springs, control arms, or coil overs? An air bag system (if they make them for the jeep) would be the easiest I would think. It would allow you to maintain stock ride quality for everyday and then you can air up when you load up. Make sure that the boat, trailer, gas, and all other equipment doesn't put you over the tow rating for you jeep. Pulling is easy it's the stopping that's hard.

A Jeep Cherokee has leaf springs and they are bad for sagging anyway.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tow capacity of that jeep is probably(you added the hitch, no tow package) 2000lbs. Don't put 3500lbs on it.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

The tow capacity of that jeep is probably(you added the hitch, no tow package) 2000lbs. Don't put 3500lbs on it.

The towing capacity of a 99 cherokee is 5,000lbs with the tranny cooler. I wouldnt go much higher than 3500lbs given the trailer has good brakes.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Jeep Cherokee has leaf springs and they are bad for sagging anyway.

I know my wrangler was leafs but wasn't sure about the cherokee's. Thanks for another bit of vehicle knowledge.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 1999 jeep is a replacement for a 1996 jeep. An 18 year old blond driving daddies 2008 BMW SUV applied her breaks after she hit me at about 40 mph, I was at a dead stop. It twisted my frame up to the front doors. The trailer hitch snapped in half. But saved me and my children from getting hurt.

I towed this boat with the 1996. I know the breaking distance and engine response time. I don't tailgate and I build up speed for hills. The 1996 had an extra leaf and I swapped the shocks for Monro shock s. I also added trans cooler. It wasn't bad. But the 1999 seams softer than the 1996 originally was. It's a nice ride without a boat. I'm interested in alternatives,

What are the pros & cons of air shock vs an add a leaf kit?

Thanks all,

Tom

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Add a leafs are cheaper, more simple install, and have fewer components (steel plate vs. bag/hoses) that can fail. However they also give a harsher ride all the time and only support the springs when they are squashed down.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What happens when a hose or air bag fails?

Tom

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weve got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and I know exactly what it can tow. :)

Yep, 2000# (unless it is the Grand Cherokee then it is 5000# (per the manufacturer).

Tom P. Regardless if you know the vehicle limitations (braking, acceleration, ect.) you are still exceeding the SAFE towing limit. ALL air bags, add a leafs, full suspension kits do is increase the LEVEL towing capacity of the vehicle, they do not increase the total capacity. The vehicle is still overloaded (also keep in mind that 3500# boat when fueled, and geared up and you have a passenger is probably closer to 4000#--double the recommended towing capacity of the truck).

That being said, when an air hose brakes you lose the bags and are right back to a stock suspension. I've had air shocks on 2 different trucks (that I kept for about 4 years and never had an air line failure. I've air bags on the front of my plow truck for 2 years and no failure so they are pretty reliable.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I had a Grand Cherokee Limited. That truck was softly sprung and with maybe 4500 lbs on a trailer the back dropped down a LOT. The truck moved the weight fine, and stopped it alright, but the back end didn't seem to enjoy it.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, 2000# (unless it is the Grand Cherokee then it is 5000# (per the manufacturer).

Tom P. Regardless if you know the vehicle limitations (braking, acceleration, ect.) you are still exceeding the SAFE towing limit. ALL air bags, add a leafs, full suspension kits do is increase the LEVEL towing capacity of the vehicle, they do not increase the total capacity. The vehicle is still overloaded (also keep in mind that 3500# boat when fueled, and geared up and you have a passenger is probably closer to 4000#--double the recommended towing capacity of the truck).

That being said, when an air hose brakes you lose the bags and are right back to a stock suspension. I've had air shocks on 2 different trucks (that I kept for about 4 years and never had an air line failure. I've air bags on the front of my plow truck for 2 years and no failure so they are pretty reliable.

Everything I've found regarding the 4.0 lists it's tow capacity at 5K and the 2.5 at 2K. I don't put much stock in edmunds for ratings. They say my truck is only rated to tow 8K and it's a F250 diesel that I know is rated for 10K+.
http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/tr99_honda-jeep.cfm
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2000/solo0029.html

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Both the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee have a towing capacity of 5,000lbs with the I-6 engine and a tranny cooler.

Weve got air bags on two of our Jeeps and they work awesome. Just remember they do not replace a weight distribution setup. If a hose fails the jeep drops down and you fix the hose.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to keep the thread on topic (suspension), I got out the owners manual. With a class 1 hitch and no trans cooler the max is 2,000 lbs GW and 300 lbs tongue weight. With a class III hitch and a trans cooler the max is 5,000 lbs GW and 750 lbs tongue weight. Drive in 3rd gear with the AC off. I have a class III hitch and a trans cooler.

Having said that. I prefer to drive with the windows open and the AC off so I can hear if something goes wrong, I've pulled this boat (1995 Dixie 821, 3,100 dry + 400 for gas and gear) for 7 years. It's ok. Not great, but ok.

Tom

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

What are the pros & cons of air shock vs an add a leaf kit?

Thanks all,

Tom

I like being able to adjust the air bags. Ive got a schrader valve under the rear bumer(came with the kit) and I keep a small bike tire pump in the back. Anytime Im going to tow Ill pump them up to 25-30psi with the hand pump then when Im done Ill lower then back to 5-10psi(5min for my air bags). Add a leafs are good too but once its done you cannot adjust anything.

Tom P

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that short reply answered a lot of questions. It sounds like don't bother going with the built in air compressor. It sounds like a tire pressure gauge and a pump will do the trick. If I want to be lazy us a portable 12v compressor.

Tom