Galvanized or Aluminum

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going to be used in both salt, brakish and fresh water.

Thought?

Thanks,

Garrett

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Galvanized or Aluminum

Aluminum, definitely!

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems to be hands down aluminum. When i pose the same question to others, outside of this forum, they tell me Galvanized.

Do i need to worry about the salt corroding the aluminum at all? Will the trailer last over time? I am planning on keeping the boat for a while and want to make sure i get trailer that will last.

What are the pros and cons of aluminum and the same with galvanized.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Regardless of the trailer material used..... if it is not properly maintained it will deteriorate and corrode in one way or another.

nlain

Commander

I had an Aluminum trailer, used only in Salt water, it got washed just like everything else, never had a problem, I now have a Galvanized trailer and I actually worry about it a little, I wash it down with Salt Away and there is still a little corrosion that I have to work on. I wish I had kept the Aluminun trailer, I could have readjusted it to fit the boat I now have.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

The probelm with galvanized is that if it has been drilled after being Galvanized it will have exposed metal and will rust at that point. That rust will be like a termite to wood and grow from the point at which is starts. Wash down the aluminum and you will not have a problem.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have one of each. I find the problems come with what is fastened to the trailer, not the trailer frame. Just wash it down well after use.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Aluminum - Leaves more available towing weight for the important stuff - boat and beer :)

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went for the Aluminum I beam myself. With that being said I think Dave & Jim are absolutely right. No matter what you use I would suggest a thorough rinse after each use.

Even though I have an aluminum trailer, I don't have SS nuts & bolts unfortunately. Even if I did however, I would sill regularly rinse it down and use my favorite metal protectant.

AS11-z.jpg

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any concerns with oxidation on the aluminum trailer?

I am very thorough with washing and rinsing after use even in fresh water, that shouldn't be a problem.

I think i am leaning towards aluminum just because it weighs less.