69 short shaft 55 hp lower unit

huntkr56

Cadet
I am looking for a lower unit for a 69 short shaft. I have done basic searchs and ebay. Does anyone know where to get a used one or one redone for cheap. The short shaft lower unit is hard to find. Long shaft is easy to find, how hard is it to get it changed over?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 69 short shaft 55 hp lower unit

Where do you live? The reason I ask, there is a dealership near me who bought a PILE of lower units from a shop going out of business. Do you just need the lower unit and short shaft or just a shaft?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You could get the long (20") unit and change the driveshaft. If you know a really good machinist the driveshaft can be shortened without taking it apart. Not easy but it's been done. You might check out what parts are or are not available that you may need.

huntkr56

Cadet

I live in northern indiana and I need the whole lower end, mine is bad. I also am a tool maker, I was not sure if any thing had to be changed besides the shaft. Is that all that has to be changed?

a70eliminator

Captain

You will need to also change the shift rod to a 5" shorter one, water tubes aren't a big deal either cut them or they may already be the two piece for either application.
I have a good short shaft lower off a 67 60hp evinrude, don't know if it's what you need, it's a manual shift. I have not tested it yet but everything feels right and it's clean inside.

huntkr56

Cadet

it is a hydro shift. I think it was started being made in 68 and ended in 72. Does the shift rod just have to be cut down or changed, and does the shaft come out easy?

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 2 of these in electric shift. I am not sure of the shaft though. I will measure and let you know. Hope i can help you out!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No shift shaft, wires only.

huntkr56

Cadet

thats right, there is no shift shaft. It has only wires, and I think I can make a long shaft work unless someone has one to sell?