Yamaha vmax 225 failure

Hi all. This is my first post with unfortunately a severe problem. Friday morning I accelerated up to about 3400 rpm after drifting for awhile. Within seconds the powerhead went into an overspeed sound--run away. At the same time there was a terrible grinding noise. I shut the motor down within about a second. After that I had no gears. The shift lever will not go into reverse. It will go into forward, but with no resistance or gear engagement. This is a 1998, low hours V-Max 225. Just had it in the shop before this trip for a fuel pump change. A trusted friend, (mechanic), thinks the shifting fork came loose and ate the lower unit. Be a week before I can get it to the shop. What happened? Is this common with this motor? Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha vmax 225 failure

find another mechanic, keep the friend.
that gearcase has no shift fork like a jonnyrude.
good thing is that SEI may be making a gearcase for that.
if not its a simple case to rebuild.
fuel pump change wont affect the gear case in anyway unless a bolt got dropped then it heads for the shift link at the center front of the crankcase.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

even then, not much they could have done to screw up the gearcase, unless they drained the oil and forgot to refill it.
gear case on that motor is fairly bullet and idiot proof. unless it doesnt get filled with oil.

Well, last night I checked the lower unit lube and sure enough it was bone dry and burned up. It appears the boat shop neglected to fill the lower unit with lube after they replaced the water pump impeller. I'm glad the new lower unit will be on them, but I am not looking forward to calling them to tell them about it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You never said they drained or changed the lower unit lube. It is not necessary for either water pump or fuel pump service.
Did any water come out or even a few drops of oil?

No nothing at all came out. I stuck a Q-Tip in the bottom plug hole and a got a small glob of burned smelling very thick material. I looked at the ticket and was charged for replacing the lower unit lube.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Then you should have it made as long as they are a good shop.