Automatic Bilge Pump (floatless) on a Mooring

jackmmf

Cadet
I have a 24' Grady that is kept on a mooring and have had some issues with my float switches operating properly. In trying to figure out a solution, I came across Rule's Automatic Bilge Pump that does not use a float switch, but turns on for 1 second every 2.5 minutes to check for water and then stays on as long as there is resistance.

Does anyone have any experience with these and how much they draw by turning on every 2.5 minutes? I'm trying to figure out if it will kill my battery being out at the mooring with no power except for a small solar panel.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Automatic Bilge Pump (floatless) on a Mooring

I have a 24' Grady that is kept on a mooring and have had some issues with my float switches operating properly. In trying to figure out a solution, I came across Rule's Automatic Bilge Pump that does not use a float switch, but turns on for 1 second every 2.5 minutes to check for water and then stays on as long as there is resistance.

Does anyone have any experience with these and how much they draw by turning on every 2.5 minutes? I'm trying to figure out if it will kill my battery being out at the mooring with no power except for a small solar panel.

Jack, I been in the business for a long time. I don't like those automatics, regardless of who makes them.

Standard float that come on when the bilge gets water in it, minds it's own business when nothing's there...JMHO

lrice01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I installed one of the Rule automatic pumps on my Tracker Deep V 17 last year. I don't really spend a lot of time on the water, but, to this point is has worked well. When I had my boat on the water overnight, I always had a fair amount of water in the bilge in the morning. For me, the nice thing is that I turn it on, and, because of the way it periodically runs, and that it has that short run time, I don't worry about running down my battery or having a lot of water in the bilge in the morning.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I put 1 of those in my leaky tin barge a couple years ago,...
The batteries were DEAD in no time...
I unwired it,+ rewired it back to a Float Switch...

tmartin

Seaman Apprentice

Im in the biz. Don't ever install that specific bilge pump. They will drain batts in short order. I have replaced 5 in three years for various customers....

I can't agree with the "don't use auto bilge pumps". You need the ones made by Rule. They are VERY reliable.

If a guy has a spendy bilge pump and just wants a solid state float switch that is nearly bullit-proof, I use these. To date,....zero failures.

http://www.waterwitchinc.com/

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I use the seasense 800gph auto bilge pumps. They have a built in float switch that seems to work well and not get clogged like an external switch can.

I will mention I had one fail on me recently. I returned it and replaced it with the same model. It is best to setup two auto bilge pumps if you leave your boat moored. One in the bottom of the bilge and one at a higher elevation that can be backup if the lower pump fails.

Always wire auto bilge pump directly to the battery. If you have two batteries and two pumps, wire the pumps to seperate batteries for additional redundancy.