need help determining load rating of Karavan trailer

dougandarthur

Recruit
Karavan can't help me. Hope you can. I am considering buying a trailer, and the seller doesn't know what it is. No ID tag. He thinks it is a model year 1996. The trailer is at least 21 feet long, has a 3X4 tongue, 8 rollers. about 77 inches between the fenders, 14 inch wheels. what other information should I get that would help it to be identified (i.e. number of spring leafs, frame box section, etc)? I want to put my 2100 pound Chaparral SSE180 on it. I am confident that my boat will phisically fit on it. I guess I really only need to know the minimum rating.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: need help determining load rating of Karavan trailer

Look at the max load rating on the tires and multiply that times the number of tires. That will give you the legal gross (trailer and load) weight limit. If it's a single axle, you cannot exceed 3500 lbs with 14" trailer tires. Double that for a pair of axles.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Doug

First, welcome to iboats....

I just purchased a new Karavan...however based on the information you've provided, if you compare it to the current specs on their site, it looks as though you should be fine. (http://www.karavantrailers.com/spec_sheet.cfm?photo=kc_roller.jpg)

Those specs show a 3x4 tongue on a 14" tires of that range should be rated between 2800- 3100 lbs. Does it have surge brakes included? If so, the trailers from Karavan usually have a minimum of 2800 lb rating if they include surge brakes.

However (disclaimer) I'm using current specs for 2010 vs a trailer you're indicating is possible around 15 years old. Not knowing the specifics, you can't be certain.

Hope this helps.

dougandarthur

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. The seller is not sure if the tires have been changed. I will check the load rating though. The tires are radials. Not sure if Kravan used radials back then.

dougandarthur

Recruit

No brakes, and comparing to the specs on new models, there is an overlap between specs of a couple of different models with different load ratings. For example I should have said 16 rollers. I really appreciate the help!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Take the vin number off the trailer and call Karavan, they have them on record. If there is no vin number, you are gonna have trouble registering it anyway.

Karavan has also been using a bar code decal for years, usually located on the left hand side frame rail, near the back.

dougandarthur

Recruit

Thanks. I will ask the seller to look for a bar code tag. He has a state assigned VIN so it can be registered. Yes Karavan told me that if I had the VIN that they could probaly identify it. I found out it has regular passenger car tires on it now, so that doesn't help.