OMC Electric Shift problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a weird problem with my 1974 OMC Stringer drive. It's the 3.8 liter. The boat goes into forward and reverse gear fine. The problem is that when I throttle back, it kicks out of gear too soon, before the engine is down to idle speed. Then I can return the throttle to neutral, and everything is fine: it engages normally when I put it in gear again.

Any ideas? As I understand it, this drive uses some sort of electric shift mechanism, but I don't really understand it beyond that. I'm not sure if the problem is in the control box or in the drive.

Any help or suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Electric Shift problem

You may have to measure the voltage be applied to the shift magnets to see if the controller is causing this. Could ne a case that the microswitches aren't adjust correctly. Do you have the type of controller that has seperate shift and throttle or is it a single lever controller? Does it do the same thing in forward or reverse?

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Electric Shift problem

I have the controls with just one lever for throttle and gear selection. It's never happened for reverse, but I don't think I've ever gone fast enough in reverse for it to occur.

Thanks for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.