Nauticus smart tabs

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know of or used these trim tabs on their boat yet? They are automatic and no electronics to control and are just self adjustable. Do they really work and make a difference? I would be installing these on my 20ft center console Wellcraft sportfisher.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Nauticus smart tabs

Thanks, think I might get a set. Would the 12 x 9 ones they make be enough for my 20ft boat because I read that you should get 1 inch for every foot of the boat.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, think I might get a set. Would the 12 x 9 ones they make be enough for my 20ft boat because I read that you should get 1 inch for every foot of the boat.

The 12x9 with the 80 pound actuators should work..
Any doubt call Nauticus,They are great to deal with over the phone..

nlain

Commander

Call Nauticus, 800-233-0194, ask them, they are great folks and will advise you as to what you need, then come back to iboats and order them.

They are great, they do everything advertised, best money you will spend on your boat.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking about getting them, but was concerned I wouldn't be able to get the bow up at semi-cruising speed in rough waters. Being a bowrider, with the funny scoop front, this is very important. I am thinking I would need to go to actual trim tabs. What are your guys thoughts on that...

Don't think this is thread hi-jacking...but the new baby has me near exhuastion...so I could be wrong....it's a related topic though right!? :p

Ian

nlain

Commander

I have had no trouble with that on my boat, it too is a bowrider I/O, I slow down when the water gets rough, trim up and go on through the rough water. I boat in the sound here on the East coast, it is about 8 miles until the water calms some from the barrier island beach I go to. You should have no problem at all.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just installed the ones with the 80lb. actuator on my boat ( 19' cuddy / 5.0-210 HP motor ) yesterday. I did a bunch of research & I can't wait to check these babies out! I was having a major problem with bow-rise, and pretty confident this will do the trick. Very easy to install once you get past the fear of drilling the first hole in your boat.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/rodgertolliver/trim-tabs.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I was thinking about getting them, but was concerned I wouldn't be able to get the bow up at semi-cruising speed in rough waters. Being a bowrider, with the funny scoop front, this is very important. I am thinking I would need to go to actual trim tabs. What are your guys thoughts on that...

On my jet boat I installed some SS cable with little hooks at the end, so I could basically hook the tabs in a full 'up' position and more or less get them out of the water and take away any effect they have. Took 15 minutes of time, and it gives you the option of running without them if you need it.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I purchased my Tabs, I also purchased the plate/bracket that gets attached to the transom that will allow them to either be engaged or disengage. Only takes a second to change from up position to down position...

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 12x9 with the 80 pound actuators should work..
Any doubt call Nauticus,They are great to deal with over the phone..

Called Nauticus and they advised me to get the ones with 60 pound actuators and my boat is a 20ft with a 150HP. The web says for that length and that power to get 80 pounders, and 16-19ft up to a 140HP is for 60 pounders. Wonder why they would tell me to get the 60 pounders then?

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't understand that at all!!!!
I called for mine too, just to get their opinion, but from what they advertise it varies from the conversation they had with you. Mine is a 19" sport cuddy with a 5.0 / 210 HP, and the 80lb ones are what they told me I need. I would call them again to see what a different person tells you, and then ask why it is different from he cheat sheet they provide. I am curious!

Here is some close up photo's of the adapter plates that lets them be activated or deactivated in the case you have not seen them before;
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/rodgertolliver/BoatResoration2001.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/rodgertolliver/BoatResoration2002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't work for me, my swim platform extends more then 2' from the back of the boat. The thought of diving into rough water to disable them seems a bit scary. :eek:

As for the sized discrepancy, they may have variances for different hulls, for instance mine will plane at very low speeds, and my buddies goes nose up for quite a bit before planing. Thus I would need lighter actuators even though they are boat ~20' boats with ~200hp...just a thought.

Ian

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i put em on last year. it seriously made the boat handle like it was 2 feet larger. It was awesome, everyone on board noticed the difference. much nicer ride in rough water too. Do it, you wont regret it.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't understand that at all!!!!
I called for mine too, just to get their opinion, but from what they advertise it varies from the conversation they had with you. Mine is a 19" sport cuddy with a 5.0 / 210 HP, and the 80lb ones are what they told me I need. I would call them again to see what a different person tells you, and then ask why it is different from he cheat sheet they provide. I am curious!

Here is some close up photo's of the adapter plates that lets them be activated or deactivated in the case you have not seen them before;
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/rodgertolliver/BoatResoration2001.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/rodgertolliver/BoatResoration2002.jpg

I spoke with a guy by the name of Gregg and he said the 60 pounders because of the power I have, but if I repowered with a bigger Hp (225+) I would need the 80's. I asked him if he was sure about the 60 pounders because the web says 80's for my application, and he said nope..the 60's is what you need and you will be pleased.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke with a guy by the name of Gregg and he said the 60 pounders because of the power I have, but if I repowered with a bigger Hp (225+) I would need the 80's. I asked him if he was sure about the 60 pounders because the web says 80's for my application, and he said nope..the 60's is what you need and you will be pleased.

WOW!!!!!
I sure hope I didn't speak to the wrong person now.?.?
They are great with customer service, and that means a TON to me, but, they need to re-evaluate their chart a bit maybe...

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW!!!!!
I sure hope I didn't speak to the wrong person now.?.?
They are great with customer service, and that means a TON to me, but, they need to re-evaluate their chart a bit maybe...

Yes I think they should give some more details for different applications and explain more if you are just on the border line of a certain application.