old 5hp

capncook

Cadet
can anyone tell me anything about this motor?is it worth 50 bucks,are there still parts etc.

Attachments

• johnson.jpg
    johnson.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson1.jpg
    johnson1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: old 5hp

It's an old early 50s Johnson TD or TN 5 hp I think. If it has compression it's worth more than that. Parts are still available.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Water pump impeller might be a challenge to find, it's either the TN or TD models that had an odd ball impeller.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That is a TN model. It has the water pump impeller on the upper part of the lower unit and I can see the neutral flip lever in the first photo. I would go to vintageoutboard.com, if you need stuff for it, or try Sea-Way Marine, up in Seattle.:cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a great restoration project. That would look so good all shiny and brand new looking.

capncook

Cadet

just talked to the man that has the motor,its a 1952 tn-28.he said he bought it about 3 years ago and it pulled and had compression.since then its been on the floor of his storage building with all kinds of other stuff piled on top of it.he said he dug it out last week and it wouldnt pull through.ok heres my question,sorry if there stupid,if its in gear would it still pull?or could it just be rusted.i ask about the gear question because he said he didnt no what that lever on the side was for.thanks in advance o sage ones!:cool:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a frozen powerhead. It might be salvageable and it might not.

???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It should crank whether in gear or not. 50 bucks is top dollar for an as-found TN. Too much for a stuck one. They are plentiful for $30 at aomci meets.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Spray some PB Blaster in the cylinders and let it sit over night. Keep it tilted up while the oil soaks in around the rings. If it got stuck from sitting in storage, then it should break up easily. Don't worry, you didn't get hurt spending 50 bucks on it. Those are good motors and don't require much to coax them back to life.:cool: