Brakes Siezing on Trailer

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 trailer in mint condition, however, the brakes have begun to sieze. The trailer has a piston in the area of the hitch that presses on the brakes when the vehicle stops. How do I stop the breaks from siezing up?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Brakes Siezing on Trailer

More than likely you need to service the brakes as drum OR disk all the moveing will start to stick..<br /><br />
P5241726.JPG
<br /><br />These are 6 months OLD think 5 years :) <br /><br /><br />Also if you have drums they are NOT self adjusting and the shoes will get to much clearance and affect performance<br /><br /><br />In general if your 5 years in saltwater its a pretty good bet there gonna need replaceing as the small parts cost more than a compleat unit<br /><br />tommays

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The part that's in your trailer coupler is the master cylinder. Assuming you have drum brakes, what's probably not working smoothly and causing your brakes to drag is your wheel cylinder(s), the part shown in tommays picture above the spindle between the springs. And tommays is right about a replacement wheel cylinder costing almost as much as the complete brake assembly, so just replace the whole thing. After you've finished installing the replacement assembly, the only other things you'll have to do are adjust the brake shoe clearance and bleed the lines.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From the photo, the shoe on the right side looks like one of those compound type that are supposed to let you back-up without breaking. I have a Load-Rite trailer that came with them and they locked-up from day one. After many attempts of getting them right, I bit the bullet and put automotive shoes on. No pivot mechanism or any other crap. <br />Because there is a single acting wheel cylinder, (only one piston/push rod) the breaking will be normal in one direction of rotation and minimal in the opposite direction. This allows for backing even with surge brakes.<br />I use my trailer in salt water and even with the brake wash-out system, I have to change my brakes & wheel cyllinders every 2 or 3 years. They don't wear out, but they do corrode. <br />(Sticking wheel cyllinder will cause brake locking.)

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I got my new venture trailer in 2004 and on the brakes locked up in 2005. Due to salt water. Cost me $95 and hours of work to replace the entire cluster. Until you replace the cluster, make sure your old one is not binding and causing too much heat. Too much heat, it will burn, and burn the fluid with the hose. Happened to me.

chuck216

Cadet

Best thing to do is order a new brake kit. I just bought a tie down brake kit with everything for $299. That way I will start all over with new parts. I just bought my boat and trailer a month ago used. Boat is a 2001, so quess that when they bought the trailer. Everything about brakes were rusted away.