Question about inspecting/replacing the u-joints

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, I know this sounds like "just another u-joint thread," but I have some specific questions I couldn't find answers to when searching.

Last year, a friend helped me replace gears, bearings, seals on my upper unit. In the process, we installed a new input yoke, and a new AFT cross bearing, but left the forward cross bearing, yoke socket, and coupling yoke as is. We also replaced the gimbal bearing and all the bellows.

Boat ran great last season, and kept oil in the drive without leaking water into it (original problem), so that was great.

However, early in the season I noticed a sorta growl/knock when the drive was turned hard over in either direction. Sounded like it was coming from the transom, hard to pin down. Didn't pay much attention to it, just avoided the hard-over turn. Then later in the season, I got a progressively worse knocking audible at low engine speeds and idle, sounded like it was coming from the same area.

So I've had the boat in layup all winter, just went down last week and pulled the drive off, and observed that the bellows were bone dry (just a bunch of grease), the splines on the coupling yoke look good, there's tons of grease on the gimbal, and everything appears to be A-OK.

My questions are:
- when inspecting the u-joints, what specifically should I look for?
- is it usually necessary to replace ALL components of the joint - i.e., the coupling yoke, the yoke socket, AND the cross bearings? Or is the cross bearing alone typically sufficient?
- any other considerations here?

I'm leaning toward just relacing the forward cross bearing, and seeing what that does. It feels OK when I try and turn it/mess with it a bit, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. That forward u-joint, yoke socket, and the u-joint end of the coupling yoke are all a bit corroded/brown looking (not sure if I'd call them "rusty" per se), for what that's worth. It should be noted that 2 falls ago I did have water in the bellows, which is probably why I had seals and drive fail in the first place...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question about inspecting/replacing the u-joints

I'm leaning toward just relacing the forward cross bearing,

Ayuh,... I bet when you take the old 1 out, it'll have tiny ridges on the bearing surfaces...

Good Plan,.. Probably shoulda replaced it last year...

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so you're thinking the cross bearing alone then? I'm not sure what role the yoke socket plays in the proper operation of the joint (i.e. whether a little corrosion on that part makes any difference).

And you're 100% right, shoulda replaced both last year. I really have no idea why we didn't, I thought they both looked kinda ugly. Probably getting a little over my head in parts expenses for the rest of the job and decided to cut corners!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the coupling yoke and socket are ok (uni bearing cups are tight) then just a quick clean up on the wire wheel and they're good to go. Check your engine alignment while you have the drive off to replace the front uni.

Chris.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You mention that you had water in the drive /boot area ,did you replace the gimbal bearing?

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mention that you had water in the drive /boot area ,did you replace the gimbal bearing?

Yep, I mentioned it in the OP... Gimbal bearing and bellows replaced, and alignment done.

That said, I'm not that confident that we did a great job aligning the engine. I'm considering taking it to a shop this year to have a pro double check it to make sure.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

You are experiencing what others go thru. Water in the bellows, replace cracked bellows and gimbal bearing, u-joints feel fine in hand, go boating another year, hear growling noise when turning that gets worse, replace u-joints. It is not likely that you can feel any problem in the u-joints moving them by hand as they will feel smooth and move freely. But after you remove them and pull the caps, you will find flat spots or ridges on the hard surfaces as Bondo mentioned. Happened to me too. I greased the joints before I reinstalled the drive and it did not stop the wear of the bearing surfaces. It's a hit on the pocket book to do it at all at one time, but it will save a second repair bill.

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips... Ordered my u-joint today (boatfix), I'll install it either later this week or next week. Just have to find someone to lend/rent me a u-joint press.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the tips... Ordered my u-joint today (boatfix), I'll install it either later this week or next week. Just have to find someone to lend/rent me a u-joint press.

:eek::eek::eek: From the Competition,..?? Why not iboats,..?? :eek::eek:

Wasa matter with the boatfix forums,..??

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Didn't even think about it, I've just made a habit of using boatfix. I'm sure iBoats is fine, but I've never had a problem with boatfix, and in fact, whatever I order is typically on my doorstep within 48 hours. Sorry iBoats!