Still Stumped - Water Quit Pumping on Muffs

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted earlier that when I ran the engine on muffs I had water coming out the ports below the gimbal for a few minutes and then the water quit coming out, also none coming out the prop hub. I have pulled the drive off again and the water pump is all correct, direction, key, center hub still tight. I also checked everything between the water pump and the thermostat housing. I found no blockages at all. The big question is this, I had the block drained prior to running the engine with the new impeller. Could it be that the thermostat opened and started filling the block causing water to stop coming out? Did I panic and shut down too early? The temp gauge went to about 180 when I shut it off. Also there is no water in the oil or in the bilge area. There was a good positive supply of water to the muffs. I even reached around and squeezed the muffs in against the drive to make sure there was pleny of pressure. Has anyone else seen this when starting up after winterizing and draining?

Thanks
DG

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Still Stumped - Water Quit Pumping on Muffs

Ayuh,... It takes several seconds to fill a drained block...Not quite a minute...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Still Stumped - Water Quit Pumping on Muffs

Make sure you have plenty of water pressure to the muffs. Water flowing out from around the muffs is okay. Too little is bad - you really can't have too much as any excess will flow on out.