Need some info on engine/drives

Blurry94

Recruit
One of the boats I'm looking at is an 88 with a 4.3L OMC and the other is 89 3.7L Merc. The dealer states that the 3.7L motor and outdrive have been rebuilt in 2008. Both boats appear to be clean and well kept otherwise.

Any info you folks have would be appreciated.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Need some info on engine/drives

Any info you folks have would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard! :D

No offense - but those are two of the drive packages most people say to stay away from. Since you are just looking, I would suggest continue looking.

Do a search and you will see the many reasons why.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You Don't want either 1 of them...

OMC has been Out of Business for Over 10 Years...
And,..
The 470 is the absolute Worst mistake ever done by Mercruiser...

Finding parts,+ Support for either is getting about Impossible...

Blurry94

Recruit

Thanks for the info.

I did a few searches containing these combos and nothing came up for some reason; 3.7L merc or 4.3l omc...any ideas?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The 3.7L Merc goes by several names - the "470" being the most common I suppose. It is a unique creation by Mercruiser that married parts together from different sources. Many will bash it, some with defend it - but since you are looking to buy a boat, it is simply one to avoid.

The problem with OMC is they have been out of business for over ten years now and it is becoming more and more difficult to find competent mechanics to work on them. Again - since you are looking to buy a boat, it is best to avoid OMC entirely - unless they are common in your area and there are mechanics who know them.

Bottom line - Best to stick with a Mercruiser or Volvo - but avoid the Mercruiser "470."

Bondo

Staff member

Best to stick with a Mercruiser or Volvo -

Ayuh,... But only the 1s with Chevy based power, for all the same reasons...

Blurry94

Recruit

That's probably the first 3.7L motor I've seen in a boat before. I thought it might be ok since both the motor and outdrive were rebuilt a couple of years ago. I'll keep looking though.

What kind of track record does the Volvo Penta duo-prop outdrive have?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

From my understanding the Volvo duo-prop is top of the line. Direct opposite of the ones you were looking at originally.