1989 40 hp Evinrude burned fuse question

chad1968

Recruit
Ok I am having trouble with my my motor cutting out which I already posted about. I opened the cover where all the ignition connectors are an found a fuse burned. It is about 1/4" long 20 amp inside a red connecting wire. Could this be causing my cutting out when I open up the motor? I am surprised it even runs...maybe it is just for charging the motor? What does this fuse do?

here is my previous post...Obviously I don't know a lot about these motors but I don't have the$ to just drop my boat off and I wanted thank everyone for the previous help and any future comments.

previous post on cutting out:
ok motor cuts out over and over again. when it is cold it does ok for about 5 minutes then it will keep cutting out over and over. I put a timing light on it it seems to stop firing then start back. Runs good for 2 seconds then cuts out then runs over and over. I am think about replacing the coil but not sure that is it.....fuel pump all fuel lines are new. I took a smaller gas tank to the lake and used it elevated above the motor and pumped the bulb but it did not affect the problem. After I ran it for 15 minutes it would barley go above idle......Thanks in advance for any help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 40 hp Evinrude burned fuse question

Chad, keep you subjects separate. or use your original post. the fuse is only for the starting circuit. has nothing to do with the cutting out.

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 40 hp Evinrude burned fuse question

I had the same problem with that fuse and I cannot tell you if it has anything to do with running performance but this I can say is that Your primer solonoid and power trim and tilt all work off it. Therefore if you have a short in any of these area's which I did you also kill all power.