Helio coil install

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class
have 72 125hp evi needs helio-coil on #1 plug should I remove head or can I do it w/head on. also what size kit do I need for this

thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Helio coil install

Head off, drill press at correct angle, tap hole, etc.
Best bet is to take it to a machine shop w/ the old spark plug. They'll do it right for not much $$
The problems w/ doing it your self:
Crooked hole
Messed up hole, trashing head
Botched job, shoots out spark plug at extreme velocity into your chest cavity. :eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Head off, take to a machine shop and get it done. Find the right shop and you will get it done for cheap if you pay cash. You can do it yourself very easily as well if you have the correct equipment.
Don't forget to put a new head gasket on though.

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys yeah will find a machine shop. whats this thing worth in good running condition, very clean outboard. no discolored heads as in over heating
to big and old for my 85 sea swirl just could not pass up the buy on it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Guys yeah will find a machine shop. whats this thing worth in good running condition, very clean outboard. no discolored heads as in over heating
to big and old for my 85 sea swirl just could not pass up the buy on it.

$5, I will buy it from you !!!!:D
Seriously though it is a bit of a crap shoot for value. depends on your location and the demand for that motor. Check around locally for similar motors and see what is being asked.

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

LAUGH!! good one ken $5 love it.................I have nothing to compare it to
guessing $500 is fair if it has good comp and lower unit works properly

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

think its Dead 60lbs comp in all 4 holes unless my comp tester is not reading right put some 2 stroke oil down in the cylinders maybe rings stuck?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

60 pounds is way too low, unless your tester is shot, or you are doing it wrong. Since it is equal across all four cylinders, I doubt the motor is the fault---but it is possible.

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think its my tester I she has seen alot of plug holes Thought that was strange that they were all at 60lbs, went out and looked at the tester and the needle does not drop to zero. checked motor again now its at 90psi going to go buy a new tester from harbor freight could be a good motor

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think its my tester I she has seen alot of plug holes Thought that was strange that they were all at 60lbs, went out and looked at the tester and the needle does not drop to zero. checked motor again now its at 90psi going to go buy a new tester from harbor freight could be a good motor

Come on now. My offer of $5 still stands !!!:D
Put it towards the new compression tester.:)

jonesg

Admiral

Then I'll double kenny's offer,

it comes with a boat right?:p

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Laugh, no she is Transom less, just bought the motor I tell you its very clean Motor, surprising really, Lower unit works fine checked that out goes in f N R

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Only use a aluminum insert or have welded and rethreaded. A Heli coil repair kit is mainly for 4 stroke engines. Inserts for aluminum heads are made of aluminum and are hard anodized to prevent them from ever stripping again. It is very important to understand that all coil inserts that are made of stainless steel simply transfers heat to slowly to allow the plug to cool and operate at the prescribed heat range. If a steel insert is used in an aluminum head it will fail to maintain metal to metal contact with the head as the engine heats up. Aluminum expands at a rate of 2.8 times more than steel. The aluminum will simply expand away from the insert and the plug will begin to loose its ability to transfer heat. If the spark plug overheats, pre-ignition and detonation can occur.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried the salvage yards for a replacement cylinder head?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

If there was a problem with the SS vs. aluminum would not there be the same problem with a steel spark plug? SS expands more than steel. Aluminum DOES NOT expand at a rate 2.8X that of stainless steel (9.6 X 10^-6 in/in F vs 12.3 X 10^-6 in/in F) It expands approximately 21% more. I have use helicoils in aluminum for years and had no problems. Rick