where to get 2 part foam filler?

usedcarman

Cadet
Hi Guys,

First of all, I'm a newbie, new @ this site.

Recently purchased a 1990 Invader 15'6" fiberglass bow rider with a 100HP merc, I knew that the floor was a little soft. Thought it would be just a small job to replace the floor. Upon removal I noticed that the crossmembers and ribs were rotten too, and the foam waterlogged. I cut everything out, scraped out all the foam (and yes it's a hell of a job!). Now preparing to rebuild crossmembers and ribs, but I don't know where to get that 2 part foam I've been reading about in other posts about waterlogged foam. Don't really want to buy that canned stuff or cut pieces of home insulation foam, I'd like to put the same type of stuff back in there.

I'm a Canadian from Cornwall, Ontario, so if anyone knows where I could get this stuff I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you! :)

P.S.: What's this 5200 I read about too? Is it a sealer or some type of epoxy? Because I do have to screw in a transducer on the transom too, and I was going to use silicone, but from what I've read I guess I better not!

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where to get 2 part foam filler?

internet search for the 2 part foam, 5200 is a marine adhesive/sealant produced by 3m, very good stuff, others like another brand by the name sika, i use the 3m product cause ive always had good luck w/ it and can get it at lowes/depot at a fair price.

if you cant find 2 part foam look at fiberglassflorida.com for an idea of what your looking for, i am not endorsing them, although thats where i get my supplies from, shipping north of the border from here would kill you on the price anyway.

good luck, D

usedcarman

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys! Will do! By the way, what other use is it good for besides the obvious (flotation). Does it help structurally? Sound deadening? Just wondering.

Last edited:

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

the one chose states on the label that it is capable of supporting 68lbs per sq ft when cured, so i think it actually does add a bit of structual integrity to the hull if nohing else, but that is my deduction and may not be fact.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks a lot guys! Will do! By the way, what other use is it good for besides the obvious (flotation). Does it help structurally? Sound deadening? Just wondering.

Ayuh,... It'll guarantee that you'll be doin' this Again, because of Rotten Wood...

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Guys,

First of all, I'm a newbie, new @ this site.

Recently purchased a 1990 Invader 15'6" fiberglass bow rider with a 100HP merc, I knew that the floor was a little soft. Thought it would be just a small job to replace the floor. Upon removal I noticed that the crossmembers and ribs were rotten too, and the foam waterlogged. I cut everything out, scraped out all the foam (and yes it's a hell of a job!). Now preparing to rebuild crossmembers and ribs, but I don't know where to get that 2 part foam I've been reading about in other posts about waterlogged foam. Don't really want to buy that canned stuff or cut pieces of home insulation foam, I'd like to put the same type of stuff back in there.

I'm a Canadian from Cornwall, Ontario, so if anyone knows where I could get this stuff I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you! :)

P.S.: What's this 5200 I read about too? Is it a sealer or some type of epoxy? Because I do have to screw in a transducer on the transom too, and I was going to use silicone, but from what I've read I guess I better not!

Screw-holes in a boat hull...Hmmmmm!

usedcarman

Cadet

How else do you fasten a transducer to a transom? Glue it on? The bracket that comes with it has screw holes into it, I thought of sealing the holes with 5200 before screwing it on. Shouldn't it do the trick?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes it should. Some people 5200 a block of composite to the hull and screw their transducers to that.

Beer&Boats

Recruit

Foaming a hull does not guarantee you'll be replacing rotten wood again.

It depends on how you care for your boat AND using the proper materials to restore or build it.
If you are the type that just parks it in the yard when not in use, yes, I agree, eventually you'll be back into it or someone else will.
Sometimes people take the word BOAT too literally. "Oh, it's a boat, it won't hurt it to sit out in the weather." I've heard that many times and in my younger dumber days even said it myself a couple of times.

It's like my tractor or mower. I wouldn't dare think of storing either one out in the weather.
Garage it, carport it, or shelter it and it'll last a long long time.

Unfortunately many people don't care for their boats in this manner.
The fortunate part for some of us is we can ride along the back roads and pick up some pretty good rebuild projects dirt cheap or even free. Of course nothing about a boat is free once it becomes yours.

My current project is restoring a Cobia Sea Scout. Nice little knock around fishing center console boat for inshore saltwater, lakes, and rivers.
I tried to buy this boat several years ago and the owner wanted way too much for it.
Got a call about a month ago one Sunday morning and was asked had I been to the shop yet. Nope, not today.
Well, the boat is yours, it's at the shop. Good motor, galvanized trailer, and boat. I'll bring the titles over and we'll transfer ownership.
The boat hasn't hit the water since I tried to buy it!

It's a complete hull up restore project. Just another example of leaving a boat out in the weather.
I'll be foaming it full. I foam everything I build or restore.
All I've done is get the top cap off and already have several offers to purchase.

There really is no excuse for leaving a trailered boat in the weather.
Sheltering it is just part of owning it.
Nothing wrong with wood or foam in a boat. The problem is in the owner.

usedcarman

Cadet

Thanks Beer,

This is exactly what I intended to do, I've owned boats before and they were always stored away from the elements. I'll be trailering my boat to and from the water as we don't live on the water. I'm presently using one of them "Tempo" garages, which we used this past winter, just moved it to the backyard and "tada" instant storage! And yes it will be refoamed! From what I've read and the advice I've gotten so far on this site, it's the best thing to do, it will be better structurally and will eliminate vibrations at cruising speeds.

Good Luck on your new project!