New used boat and engines

Slimbob

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and it's been about 15 or 20 years since I have owned an outboard or boat of any kind for that matter. Would love to do some fishing with this boat. Lakes and rivers. I live in S.E. PA. I'm sorry if I am asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum. I'll get better. Promise!

I just brought home a used Blue Fin 12' Aluminum runabout. It came with 2 engines.
1. 7.5 hp Chrysler model # 72HOC S/N 1818

2. 4.0 hp Johnson Model # J4RCEC S/N 7938254 Belgium is under the S/N

Can anyone identify the model years of these? I need to get repair manuals and figure out the fuel mix for both.

I have looked over several websites and I think the Chrysler is 1980 and the Johnson is 1989.

I highly doubt the Johnson is 1989 from the looks of it. It has a gas port for external tank but a plastic tank mounted to the back of the middle section and hose to the port. There is no forward or reverse. You release a handle in top of cover and rotate 180 degrees to go in reverse.

I also have a Gamefisher 9.9 I think the Gamefisher is a Force engine also. I bought 2 months ago in anticipation of buying a boat without an engine. That is the engine I would like to use with this boat and sell the other two after I get them running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks and Happy boating,
Slimbob
Telford, PA.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: New used boat and engines

The Johnson is a 1989 and it looks like the Chrysler is a 1979-81.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You probably already know, but you may be able to get parts at Dave's Marina on Ridge Road. Hospital exit and turn left at the Ridge Road light--about a mile down the road.

Couple of weeks and I will be re-assigned to Quakertown. I ride up 113 to Telford then through the town past the firehouse to 309 north. Not a bad ride at 4 in the morning.

Slimbob

Cadet

bhile,
Thanks for the quick reply and confirming my findings. This seems like a really nice site for DIYer's like me and I will be trying to help others soon. Cheers!

Frank,
Thanks for the "Heads up". I thought they were just a storage place. I never stopped in. I did not know they sold parts.

Thanks again,
Slimbob

Last edited: