Wheel studs making me crazy!!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner
I can't find the flippin' wheel studs that are common to my trailers :confused: This is weird to me because in the beginning of my career I was a parts guy and I can usually find anything. I can find 2" x 20 that are close but the ones I have are 1 3/4 and the wheel side of the stud is significantly shorter, so the 2" ones will stick out behind the hub more than they do now. Plus they are running over $2 a stud so that's $40 for the trailer and then add lug nuts to get them all looking the same and this stupid issue is getting expensive.

What I can find is lug "bolts", and they are waaaaay cheaper at $1 a piece and of course don't require nuts. So to my question: Is there any reason that I shouldn't switch over to lug bolts? Other than the issue of hanging a wheel when you're on the side of the road being slightly more difficult, any other reason?

P.S. I've searched Champion, Tractor Supply, Trailer Parts Superstore, etrailer, NAPA, Pep Boys and even Lowe's. Nada.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Wheel studs making me crazy!!!!

Well yeah. If you are replacing studs you will need to tap the hub, first making sure it is the right size for the bolts.

Or you could just replace the ones that need it and put some wheel covers on to hide the mismatched nuts, if they bother you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

nope no reason whatsoever.... I have changed bolts to studs to be able to run aftermarket wheels with a mag style nut... they go in just the same

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't have to tap anything as these are screw in style studs. Lug bolts solve it for $5 a wheel, so I'm going to do that. I am just amazed these studs are so hard to find. Thanks for the help guys!

fishrdan

Admiral

Personally, I don't like lug bolts as you are screwing into the cast hub with each tire change, a greater chance of stripping out the hole. I'd rather have a stud that's permanently threaded or pressed into the hub.

Check out this place, they give volume discounts, $1.37/stud for 20+
http://www.trailerpart.com/

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah these are the studs at trailerpart.com, but they are PRESS in . . .

3118.gif

I have SCREW in:

R147800-S.GIF

I can find 2" but not 1 3/4 as I have . . . Bolts will solve it. Not perfect, but I think it's a plan.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

fixed it

Here's what I was thinking of but they are 2" so no good to ya unless you want to grind down the excess or buy all of em..... bolts will work fine

QC

Supreme Mariner

Those would work and that's the best price I have found yet, but the bolts get me past this stupid roadblock. Fact is I am selling the trailer. I didn't want to give the next guy a headache, but the bolts will be fine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know Pacific, but didn't call. Should've gone over there first . . . Now that I have the bolts in mind I think I am moving on. From the get go I was confused why I couldn't find the 1 3/4 studs though. Seemed odd :confused: