Switch from Surge to Elec brakes.

skongolf

Seaman
I know this has been covered some and I have searched alot of posts and sites, but I thought I would just start a new thread as my head is soinning and try and get a quick answer. I am going to replace my axle on my trailer and while doing so I have to replace my brakes as one of the Hydraulic brakes is toast. When I talked to a guy at the trailer shop he said I would have to also replace or rebuild my actuator master cylinder. So it looks like I would shell out close to $200 just for the brakes. Well my new tow rig is wired for electric brakes so it looks like I could make the switch to electric for around $70. My question is if I go to electric do I have to replace the hub/drums as well or can I use my existing ones. , this will be one of the deciding factors. Also I have read you have to adjust elec brakes more frequently. just wanted to get some more info before I decide to switch. One last thing. Can I leave the actuator on and just disable the system? Thanks for any input.

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Switch from Surge to Elec brakes.

Well just my .02 on this. Look at the inside of your drums. If the face of the drum is smooth you can use them for electric brakes. You will need to take the actuator off, but a trailer supply store will be able to sell you a new tounge with no master in it really cheap. I have considered doing an electric conversion and will do it when I need to replace my brakes. The electric is much more responsive and can stop the tow vehicle if you need it to. Suge can't do that.

NHGuy

Captain

Electric brakes will need a 7 pin plug, the wiring, and replacement backing plate assemblies which contain the shoes, springs and magnetic actuators. You may also want a small battery operated breakaway system like a travel trailer uses.
Check out www.etrailer.com.
Also get some input for the environment you will dunk in. I have heard that salt water being so conductive can have an impact. Also salt water may cause a recommendation to get higher quality parts (stainless) which have higher costs.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Electricity,+ Water are like Fire,+ Ice...

No Way I'd put electric brakes on a boat trailer...

If you Do, Change the coupler,..
The disconnected Hyd. coupler will shift fore,+ aft by about an inch or so, every time the pressure/ weight changes...

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a new member on here and am currently going thru the same change over as you mention. I did quite a bit of research on other sites as well before deciding to switch to electric brakes. I recently bought a new to me boat/trailer combo. Previous owner told me the surge brakes "did not work very well". Well he was right, they didn't work very well because there was no brakes, period! I priced out a new surge unit, 12"X2" brakes etc. and the cost was close to $400. I've towed a travel trailer for years and know that electric brakes work great when properly set up, so it didn't take much to decide on the switch over once I'd done some research. A lot of people expressed opinions one way or the other but I only really gave any credance to anyone who actually had electric brakes on a boat trailer. The majority (99%) had nothing but praise for the electric brakes over their previous surge brakes. But back to my case, I bought 2 new brake set ups (backing plates,brake shoes and magnets) for $85. shipped to my door. Was able to reuse the original brake drums but found new ones for $55. each. Since my truck was already set up for electric brakes, I had the controller and 7 pin connector but they can be bought for about $100 (Prodigy- one of the best). I also added the back-up battery and break away switch for $45. All that's left to do is replace the coupler and I should be able to do that for less than $50. So for less than $200 I should be good to go. No more clunking from the surge coupler and able to back up without the trailer brakes coming on. And most importantly, the trailer will stop my truck instead of pushing it in an emergency stop.

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went thru the same thing and put elec. on mine. I am hauling a 3000lb boat on a tandem axle trailer. I read all the posts on here then I went to the local tackle store and asked the owner(a friend of mine) if he knew anybody that had electric brakes on their trailers. I told him to give my phone number to anyone who wanted to comment on their brakes. I received 9 phone calls and their boats ranged from 18' bow riders to 28' cruisers. All but one had excellent things to say about them. The one guy who didn't give them a great rating gave them a fair rating. He didn't always flush them on the way home from the lower Chesapeake Bay and he said that they rusted and had to be taken apart and fixed after 1 season. I guess it was because of the salt water. One thing a couple people said was to look at the self adjusting bakes. Anyway that was my experince. Good luck

MRS

Commander

I have used electric on two trailers and I think they are the only way to go for me. I did have one that was surge and made it electric I drilled the coupler and used two 3/4'' bolts to keep it from sliding it is still in use and working great. If I knew how to weld I would have welded it also.